For the imperfect Fashion lover.

Preppy Style, over 40 | The Fab 40's!

Fake Fabulous | Preppy Style, over 40 | The FAB 40's!

Welcome back to the fab 40's.

I am delighted to be part of a group of international bloggers, called The fab 40's.
The purpose of this diverse group is to show how eight (very different) women interpret a specific style.
Each month there is a new theme chosen by one of the group.

These ladies prove that being in your forties does not mean you have to be dowdy, frumpy, boring or forgettable.
All of these women are 40+ and fabulous!

Fake Fabulous | Preppy Style, over 40 | The FAB 40's!

This month's theme was Preppy.

Okay... that's me stumped!

I have attempted preppy style before {see it here} but I based the preppiness of the look on the fact I was wearing a blazer.
Blazer = Preppy
Job done.
Right?
Hmmm...

It dawned on me that a blazer is a great starting point, but it's not really the be-all-and-end-all of the preppy look.
So I "Googled" it.
Grace Kelly popped up.
Jackie O.
Audrey Hepburn.
All beautiful (and achingly stylish) women but, I was none the wiser.

Fake Fabulous | Preppy Style, over 40 | The FAB 40's!

So, today's outfit was as preppy(ish) as my un-preppy self could manage.

Fake Fabulous | Preppy Style, over 40 | The FAB 40's!

I kept the outfit as simple as I could.

{Channelling the clean lines of the preppy look}

Although, I could not resist a pattern.
And a peep of shoulder.
AND a ruffle... maybe not entirely true to the preppy ideal?!

The accessories were kept to a minimum (very preppy).
Adding a simple pair of neutral shoes and a smart bag.

Natural makeup and simple earrings finished my look off nicely.

Fake Fabulous | Preppy Style, over 40 | The FAB 40's!

Blouse: Primark
Trousers: Topshop
Shoes: Clarks
Bag: Charity shop
Necklace: Topshop
Earrings: Zara

Do you like the idea of the preppy look but need some more outfit inspiration?
Look no further!

I have 7 fabulous ladies here, to show you how it can be done.


Introducing our Guest blogger this month... 

Michelle from RetroChicMama.

Michelle seems to have understood the Preppy remit perfectly.
Adding a funky T-shirt twist.
So effortless, and cool.

Classic brands tend to produce items that can easily be mixed together to create a smart (and preppy-feeling) look.
She makes it look easy!


Blazer: Marks & Spencer
Trousers: Winser London
T-shirt: Maison Kitsune
Brogues: Dune London
Bag: LV

Sheela from Sheela Writes.

Sheela never fails to bring a little "something" to her outfit.
This look is fun, sexy, quirky...all the things I love about her.
Ripped jeans, a necktie and statement cuffs made preppy!
I love it.


PJ Blazer & Romantic Blouse: Forever21
Ripped Jeans:NY & Company
Heels & Clutch: GX by Gwen Stefani
Leather Hairband & Sunnies: Poshmark
Lipstick: Be A Rich Bitch from Be A Bombshell Cosmetics

Ann from Kremb de la Kremb

Ann is a natural at nailing the preppy look.
BUT, she always adds a twist to make it her own.
Cute and fun in her tartan breeks and blazer... with loafers too (what could be more preppy than loafers?).
Adding a T-shirt to keep the look fresh and modern.
Perfect.


Earrings: Kate Spade
Various Necklaces from all over
Reading is Sexy T-shirt: Sarah Utter Tee from Buy Olympia
Navy Blazer: Banana Republic with a little DIY with the gold buttons
Trousers: Forever 21
Penny Loafers:Sperry Top-Sider
Crossover Bag:Vintage Coach

Jennie from A pocketful of polka dots.

Jennie has gathered together the key pieces of a preppy look.
Stripes.
A crisp shirt.
A smart blazer.
Pearls.
What a lady!

BUT, she adds her own spin by tucking her jeans into a pair of knee boots.
Jennie always adds a tougher element.
Speaking of which...who could fail to notice her bright pink hair?
Preppy with a fabulous punch.


Blazer: Liz Claiborne
Gingham Oxford: Old Navy
Striped Tee: Joe Fresh
Necklace: Amazon
Belt: Charming Charlie
Boots: Bandolino

Diane from Fashion on the fourth floor.

Diane is back!
{I really missed her last month}
Looking fabulously cute in this feminine/masculine outfit.
Mixing a potentially unisex shirt and tank top with a super feminine skirt.
Check out those patent ankle boots too.
Love 'em!


Button-down shirt: Zara
Sweater Vest: Forever 21
Midi Skirt: Forever 21
Ankle Boots: Zara
Clutch: Zara
Watch: Fossil from Macy's

Mary from Curlybyrdie Chirps

Mary normally wows us with her feminine interpretations of each month's theme, and this time is no exception!
If you like a feminine spin on things then her blog will be right up your street.
She looks super-cute and lots of fun in this simple look.
I love the long socks with the boots (I think I might be borrowing that one).


Dress: Tommy Hilfiger
Black Sweater and knee socks: Kohls 
Booties: Target
Bag: Liz Claiborne 
Jewelry: Ny and Company

Veronica from CID Style file

Veronica is a style chameleon.
She can look super-fierce, cute and feminine or casual and tom-boyish.
I would quite happily wear this entire outfit.
Colourful, comfortable and cosy... with a couple of patterns thrown in for good measure.
Right up my street!


Red Jeans: Jessica Simpson
Boyfriend Shirt: Old Navy
Faux Fur Vest: Charter Club
Tassel Flats: JustFab
Leopard Print Bag: R&M
Glasses: Warby Parker


Over to you...
Do you like the preppy look?
What is your idea of preppy?
Are there any preppy style icons that I should check out?

Please let me know your thoughts by leaving me a comment.
Or contact me!
I love hearing from you.


Linking up to:
I will wear what I like (Monday), Visible MondayTurning heads Tuesday 

SHARE:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig