For the imperfect Fashion lover.

How to Look Older | Makeup Mistakes.

Fake Fabulous | How to look older | Makeup mistakes, over 40.

Makeup (for me) is one of life's little pleasures.
There are so many beautiful products available, and so much fun to be had!

The act of applying makeup is relaxing, and calming.
Selecting colour combinations is a real joy.
I also love looking at makeup counters, soaking up the delicious colours.
Trends excite me (even if I don't often follow them) and finding new products to enjoy makes me smile.

Makeup can be very flattering, and beautifying.
It can be striking.
It can be transforming.
BUT, it can also be downright ugly!

It is so easy to get stuck in a makeup rut.
Or, to start piling it on, to try and fill in the cracks.
Bad makeup can make us look decades older.


I love makeup videos and online tutorials BUT sometimes the videos can leave me feeling a bit cheated.

The makeup artist may be in her 40's but she looks too flawless on the camera and I don't really want to see that.
I want to see someone 40+ looking like they are 40+.
Beautiful AND older.

I want it to be acceptable to have lines.
I want to see a real face.
Not someone in their 40's looking 20.
That's not real life.

So today I decided to "keep it real" and have fun with some of my makeup.

I have applied the same makeup products in two different ways.
The first is unflattering, and ageing.
The second is (hopefully) not!

I am happy for you to see my flaws and the fact that makeup can't really hide them... it just makes me feel a little fresher.

What I used:

MOISTURISER: Nivea
WIPES: Simple baby wipes.
FOUNDATION: Rimmel lasting finish (100)... it's not a great colour for me.
CONCEALER: Bourjois Radiance reveal (01) & Benefit Boi-ing (01)
POWDER: Bare Minerals original (Fairly light)
EYESHADOW: Barry M (Starry eyed palette)
EYELINER: Bourjois waterproof clubbing liner (Green)
BRONZER: Bourjois (52)
BLUSHER: Max factor Miracle touch (soft pink)
LIPSTICK: Seventeen (roses are red)
LIP GLOSS: Bare Minerals (Heartbreaker)
LINER: Rimmel exaggerate (Call me Crazy)

Makeup gone bad.... How to look older.



In this video I am 'trying out' a few of the common makeup mistakes that we can be guilty of as we get older.

Having said that, it's not just older women that make these mistakes!
Young women do them too, it's just their skin is taut and smooth so they can get away with it a bit more.

25 Common Makeup Mistakes

Foundation


  • Wearing too much foundation to try and cover the lines.
  • Wearing the wrong colour to change the colour of your skin.
  • Not matching your face to your neck/rest of the body.

Concealer


  • Too much light reflective concealer under the eyes.
  • Too much concealer, in general.
  • Putting opaque concealer under the eyes.

Powder


  • Wearing too much and using a powder puff to press the powder into the skin.
  • Powdering fine lines in a bid to "fill them in".

Eyeshadow


  • Doing your makeup with your eyes shut (especially if they are hooded).
  • Too much shimmery eyeshadow (especially on crepey lids).
  • Light/sparkly shadow under the brow bone, it looks so dated.

Eyeliner


  • Thick lines, unblended.
  • Just lining the lower lashes... especially if the liner is a harsh black or blue.

Brows 


  • Thin brows, over plucked or shaved.
  • Odd shapes, like the tadpole or a really high arch.
  • Pencilled in super skinny brows.
  • Dark brows, like two slugs.
  • Too much powder (or pencil) in them.
  • Not grooming them... those hairs can go crazy!

Lipstick


  • Dark lipliners.
  • Harshly lined lips.
  • Matte, dark lipsticks.

Blusher


  • Not using it!
  • Too much shimmer.
  • Dark contouring... it "sinks' the cheeks in and as we age our cheeks sink in anyway.


Look how harsh this makeup looks.
My lips are hard, thin and a bit mean looking.
The whole face is old fashioned.

Fake Fabulous | How to look older | Makeup mistakes, over 40.

Fake Fabulous | How to look older | Makeup mistakes, over 40.

Check out this close up of my eye makeup.
Heavy looking droopy eyes.
Dark and aged.

Fake Fabulous | How to look older | Makeup mistakes, over 40.

The concealer (and powder) accentuates fine lines and my droopy lids.
This is what the world sees even if I can't.

{Anyone who wears reading glasses will know what I mean!}


Fake Fabulous | How to look older | Makeup mistakes, over 40.

The same makeup products, but better!



I look much fresher and more natural in this shot.

Fake Fabulous | How to look older | Makeup mistakes, over 40.

Yes, my droopy lids (especially on the side I sleep on) and fine lines are still there, but the makeup is not screaming "Check these wrinkles out!!"

Fake Fabulous | How to look older | Makeup mistakes, over 40.

My eyes look slightly softer, and a lot more natural.

Fake Fabulous | How to look older | Makeup mistakes, over 40.

I hope you found this post fun!
I certainly enjoyed making the videos, and my daughter enjoyed taking my photographs... getting a good laugh at my crinkly bits and giving me some makeup tips {see her efforts here}.


Please let me know your thoughts and opinions on makeup (or any great tips you have) by leaving a comment.
I love hearing from you!

SHARE:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig