For the imperfect Fashion lover.

How to Wear a Ruched Dress | Shopping Delusions

Baukjen Ruched Dress with Autumn Layers | Deluded Shopping | Fake Fabulous

Are YOU a deluded shopper?
What does being a deluded shopper mean anyway?

Deluded shopping is when a person buys an item because they have been made to believe something about it that is not true.

Otherwise known as very clever marketing!

Examples include:

  • Undies that make you look 2 dress sizes smaller
  • Face creams that make you look 10 years younger or boost your DNA
  • Dresses that make you look like Kate Moss!

Do you ever (like me) buy something simply because you think it looks great on the model in the magazine, online, in store, or on the super-cool celebrity blogger?

And, for that brief moment, you believe that if YOU buy that product you will look just like the model or celebrity.
The item you spend your hard-earned cash on will act like a magic wand of perfection.
Making your life a little more stylish and beautiful.

Temporarily, you forget you are neither six feet tall, a size 4 or 19.
Oh dear!

I know I'm not alone when I say that I can be a sucker for slick advertising, great photography and skillful photoshopping.
I know it's silly....but it happens.
I have no problem admitting that I can be guilty of delusional shopping!

Baukjen Ruched Dress with Autumn Layers | Deluded Shopping | Fake Fabulous

This was exactly what happened when it came to buying this ruched dress from Baukjen.

The model in the catalogue looked gorgeous!
Effortlessly chic, and super cool.
The ruches skimming her body beautifully.

Yes, this dress is comfortable.
Yes, I feel good in it.... there is no pinching, or digging in.

BUT...

Even though this style of dress is marketed to disguise lumps bumps (and other unwanted wobbly bits) the reality is that it can accentuate, and highlight flaws in our figures.
No one wants to look lumpier and bumpier than they already are, do they?

Only the uber-perfect look fabulous in them.
Only the model in the catalogue.

I'm guilty of delusional shopping*.

{*Hangs head in shopping shame}

Baukjen Ruched Dress with Autumn Layers | Deluded Shopping | Fake Fabulous

My husband put it perfectly when he said...

"That dress fits where it touches"

Oh dear!

These dresses are pretty expensive, and I'm not into wasting money.
Everything we own deserves to be worn.
Plus, there's no denying that this style of dress is comfortable to wear, and easy to throw on.
I had to make it work.

Clarks Oxblood Brogues with Tartan | Fake Fabulous

Today, I am styling this dress with a few distracting details to keep the focus off my (now highlighted) imperfections.

I certainly don't want to lose the comfort that this dress offers.
However, looking like I have a baggy bum is NOT the look I'm going for.

An easy way to hide an unflattering rear-end is to add a longline cover-up.
I chose a long sleeveless cardigan.
Super cosy, and easy to throw on.

I also added a scarf that I belted at the waist... helping to skim over any offending bumps.
Distracting the eye up and down.

Baukjen Ruched Dress with Autumn Layers | Deluded Shopping | Fake Fabulous

The third trick up my sleeve was some colourful hosiery.
These golden tights are great quality, and a wonderful way to add more of an autumnal feel to any outfit.
They're like a warm sunset on my legs!

Baukjen Ruched Dress with Autumn Layers | Deluded Shopping | Fake Fabulous

My vintage magnifying glass and tartan trimmed brogues finished things off nicely.

I think I got away with it.... just! 😌

Have you been a victim of delusional shopping?
What are your triggers/weaknesses?
Please share your story in the comments.
Or, CONTACT ME.... I'd love to hear from you.

DRESS: Baukjen
TIGHTS: Falke
SCARF: A gift from a friend... This one is beautiful.
BELT: Topshop... similar.
CARDIGAN: c/o Cosy Cashmere... similar.
SHOES: Clarks... these are cool.

GET THE LOOK


SHARE:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig