For the imperfect Fashion lover.

Winter Layers, over 40 | 3 Steps to Perfect Layering.

Winter Layers | 3 Layering Tricks | Fake Fabulous

I love layers!
Even in an outfit this is not 'obviously' layered, I usually sneak on one or two.
Being cold is not something I enjoy.

My husband is sometimes astonished as to how many layers I am capable of wearing.
For example, today I have 6 on my upper half and 4 on the lower part of my body.
(Or, 7 and 5 if you include underwear!)

Winter Layers | 3 Layering Tricks | Fake Fabulous

Layers can look great.
Layers can give an outfit that feeling of 'effortless-cool'.

Layering can look chic, and elegant.
Layering is very practical.
Layering can make you look (and feel) like a bag lady!!

{Please excuse my remote in these shots... and the cock-eyed angles... my photographers were out, and it was just me and my dodgy old tripod}

Winter Layers | 3 Layering Tricks | Fake Fabulous

Some layers are easier to wear than others.
This mohair coat/cardigan is probably one of the most tricky pieces to wear.
It is big and bulky, and potentially adds pounds of weight to my frame.
Bulky layers (like this one) can be unflattering, and very difficult to style.

Winter Layers | 3 Layering Tricks | Fake Fabulous

3 easy Layering Tricks.


1. Mix it up.


Layering similar textures and fabrications can look drab & dreary.
Mix up those textures for maximum impact!
Even a monochromatic outfit (e.g. all black) can sing when different fabrics are pulled together.
Silk and chunky wool.
Leather and lace.
Suede and vinyl.
Or, a mixture of any fabrics you love!

Tonal layering looks chic and modern.
Blending similar colours together can give a luxe feel to your outfit.

Clashing colours is always fun, and can create a striking look...the sky's the limit!

Mixing patterns can also work beautifully in a layered look, especially if you keep the patterns within the same colour family.
Playing with print sizes, and pulling out colours within the patterns using plain items, can make for a fantastic outfit.
Go with your instincts... if you think something looks good then it will!

2. Keep it light.


Chunky bulky layers can add pounds to your frame, and look sloppy.
However, if you are in love with a 'chunky monkey' (like me in this HUGE mohair coat) then keep the rest of your layers slimline.
Try wearing a few fine layers, to create a cosy feel, then add drama with your chunky piece.
Slim fitting trousers (or a neat skirt and boots) can help keep the bulky piece from overwhelming you.

3. If you love it wear it!


Wear whatever floats your style boat.
If you love a certain colour then go for it!
Contrast and clash your shapes and textures.
Have fun with patterns.
Go large and bulky.
Go sleek and streamlined.
Do whatever makes you feel like you!

Winter Layers | 3 Layering Tricks | Fake Fabulous

This outfit is SO cosy, and no wonder!
I'm layered up to the max.

On my top half I am wearing a thermal base layer then a heat generating poloneck.
My legs are clad in a pair of footless tights, then heat generating leggings.
{It is honestly COLD here :oP}
Two pairs of long wooly socks are keeping my lower legs warm, as well as these boots.
OTK boots really do keep out the cold... I highly recommend them!

This dress (that I found in a charity shop) is a very fine knit, but works perfectly on top of this cosy layered look.
My cashmere longline waistcoat provides lightweight (and slimline) warmth.

A chunky scarf and thick gloves are a must today, as well as my enormous fringed suede bag... plus a trio of fun pom poms!

Winter Layers | 3 Layering Tricks | Fake Fabulous

A fun dinosaur necklace finishes things off nicely!

Winter Layers | 3 Layering Tricks | Fake Fabulous

How cold does it get where you live?
Do you ever use layers to pretend you are wearing less than you actually are?

Please share in the comments.
I love hearing your thoughts!

CARDIGAN: Finery... similar.
DRESS: M&S... this one is nice.
NECKLACE: Online
POLONECK & LEGGINGS: Uniqlo
LONG WAISTCOAT: Tkmax... similar.
BOOTS: Duo... similar
BAG: Topshop
GLOVES: A gift
SCARF: Newlook... this is their recent version.


GET the LOOK

SHARE:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig