For the imperfect Fashion lover.

90's Grunge in 2016 | The Fab 40's go all grungy!

The Fab40's go grunge! | Grunge style, over 40 | Fake Fabulous

Welcome back to the fab 40's.

I am delighted to be part of a group of international bloggers, called The fab 40's.
The purpose of this diverse group is to show how eight (very different) women interpret a specific style.
Each month there is a new theme chosen by one of the group.

These ladies prove that being in your forties does not mean you have to be dowdy, frumpy, boring or forgettable.
All of these women are 40+ and fabulous!

The Fab40's go grunge! | Grunge style, over 40 | Fake Fabulous

This month's theme is 90's Grunge.

Yeah, Whatever you reckon!

{Don't worry, I was just getting into the 90's grunge mood}

As a bunch of true vintage 90's girls, this was a brilliant theme for us to have fun with.
Throwing some of the group out of their comfort zones, and bringing back great memories for others.

{Please check out their blog posts (links in the titles) to read more}

Despite me being more of a 90's rave chick, I loved this theme.
Back in the early 90's I loved to dance all night.
Glow sticks, white gloves, neon clothes, smiley t-shirts and whistles at the ready.

However, on my "normal" days things could get a bit grungy.
DM's.
HUGE trousers (bought from the gent's section at the local charity shop).
Checked shirts and longline (skinny) vest tops... or cutaway cropped tops.
Love beads, earcuffs and beanies.
Long hair, gleaming with henna colour.
A flat tummy and no stretch marks.
Ah... happy days!

The Fab40's go grunge! | Grunge style, over 40 | Fake Fabulous

This outfit came together very easily
I toyed with the whole "slip dress" look, as it has been back in style for the past few months, but it was not really my 'thing' in the 90's, so I dismissed it pretty quickly.
I love the slip dress look on others, but it could easily look a bit awkward on me.

{Having said that I did wear a vintage 90's slip(ish) dress last Christmas, for a night out... see that post HERE}

The Fab40's go grunge! | Grunge style, over 40 | Fake Fabulous

This grungy theme could easily have gone too far towards 90's dress up.
Much as I would have LOVED to push the 90's vibe further, it still needed to be wearable.

What could be more wearable than my old favourite boots?
Perfect for a modern take on that grungy feel.

{Oh, how I love these old faithfuls}

The Fab40's go grunge! | Grunge style, over 40 | Fake Fabulous

I kept the colour palette warm, and autumnal.
Black is the obvious 'grunge' choice, but it can be very draining, especially over 40, and particularly on me.

I couldn't resist this black bobble beanie though!

The Fab40's go grunge! | Grunge style, over 40 | Fake Fabulous

Tobacco coloured jeans and a tartan shirt seemed to go together perfectly.
Adding a leather (look) tank broke up the tartan and made things look a little more 2016.
A cosy cardigan/coat, necklaces and vintage lace gloves finished things off nicely.

TOP: DIY from a dress.
JEANS: M&S
SHIRT: Old...from Asda, I think.
NECKLACE: Online.
BOOTS: Caterpillar (very old)
BAG: Clarks
CHOKER: Borrowed from my daughter.
CARDIGAN: old River Island
LACE GLOVES: Vintage
LIPS: Spice!
HAT: River Island

Do you like the idea of the grunge look, but need some more inspiration?

Introducing our Guest blogger this month... 

Sherry from Petite over 40.

Sherry is such a lovely lady, and her blog is full of vintage inspired outfits.
A delight!
She has such a feminine, elegant and almost delicate look that I thought she would really struggle to look even remotely grungy.
She is pretty, petite, beautifully blonde.
Is Sherry too sweet to be grunge?

Erm... how wrong was I!?
Look at her A.T.T.I.T.U.D.E in this shot!!
"What you looking at?!"
I love it!

Sherry's look is so wearable and cosy-looking.
Perfect.
{Oh, and she reminded me of how I used to tie shirts around my waist. How could I have forgotten that??}



JUMPER: Vince
DRESS: VintagebySuzanne on Etsy
SHIRT: Candace Jermaigne
SHOES: Eileen Fisher

Sheela from Sheela Writes.

Okay...Sheela has smashed it!

Who else could pull off a black lip, and a tiara?
A tiara!
Not many, that's for sure.
Sheela wears it with style.

Sexy gothic grunge.
Is there nothing this lady can't do?!



BRACELET: Courtney Love X Nasty Gal
SKIRT: Free People
JACKET: Blank NYC
BOOTS: Bakers
CHOKER: courtesy of Manic Panic NYC 
RING: House of Harlow
TIARA: indie store in Borneo
LIPSTICK: Opium Noir courtesy of Charlotte Tilbury

Ann from Kremb de la Kremb

Ann is 2 Kool 4 Skool!
This lady has attitude and individual style.
I love her moody stare in this shot.

And, that dress...cut high on the thigh...sexy lady!



HAT: H&M
EARRINGS: Forever 21
DRESS:  Zara
JACKET: thrift shop
BAG: Urban Outfitters
SOCKS: Forever 21
BOOTS: Dromedaris

Jennie from A pocketful of polka dots.

Jennie always adds an edge to her looks, and this time is no exception.
It's a classic 'floral dress and leather biker' combination but with that typically 90's patterned semi-sheer tights (although these are a bang-up-to-date houndstooth pattern) and masculine boots.
Her hair is so punchy and vibrant... the perfect accessory!



JACKET: Bisou Bisou
DRESS: Glamorous
TIGHTS: Hue
BOOTS: Life Stride
CHOKER: Amazon
EARRINGS: Chelsea NYC

Diane from Fashion on the fourth floor.

Diane reminds me of a 90's off-duty pop star.
Caught by the paps.
Her long lean pins look great with chunky boots and a flirty hemline.
Gorgeous.


CARDIGAN: Nasty Gal
SHIRT DRESS: H&M
LACE DRESS: Forever 21
BOOTS: Steve Madden
NECKLACE: Red Pineapple
SUNGLASSES: Forever 21

Mary from Curlybyrdie Chirps

Mary is known for her feminine interpretations of each month's theme, and this time is no exception!
If you like a feminine spin on things then her blog will be right up your street.
She looks super-cute and lots of fun in this simple look.
I love the rips in her tights, so very grunge.
You can see she had lots of fun with this look... no Paddington stare here, just her beautiful smile.


SKIRT: Forever 21
JACKET: Goodwill
BOOTS: Shoedazzle 
BAG: Vera Bradley 
HAT: H&M 

Veronica from CID Style file

As I have said before, Veronica is a real style chameleon.
She can look super-fierce, cute and feminine or casual and tom-boyish.
She is rocking the grunge look effortlessly... I am guessing she is a grunge girl at heart.
But, behind that cool grunge pose is a really wearable outfit for 2016.
Right up my street!


CARDIGAN: Kensie 
DRESS: City Chic
BOOTS: So Old forgot brand and it's rubbed off! LOL 
BAG: Rebecca Minkoff
CHOKER: Lovesick
EARRINGS: Avenue
SUNGLASSES: c/o Zero UV

I'll leave you with me attempting some grunge attitude.
Fierce?
Hmmm....

Yeah, I burst out laughing too!!

The Fab40's go grunge! | Grunge style, over 40 | Fake Fabulous

The Fab40's go grunge! | Grunge style, over 40 | Fake Fabulous

Over to you...
Do you like the 90's Grunge look?
What was your style in the 90's?

Please let me know your thoughts by leaving me a comment.
Or contact me!
I love hearing from you.


Linking up to:
I will wear what I like (Monday), Visible MondayTurning heads Tuesday 

SHARE:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig