For the imperfect Fashion lover.

Styling a Shapeless Dress.

Fake Fabulous | Styling a shapeless dress.

I don't know about you, but sometimes I buy things (dresses especially) after falling in love with the idea of how I might look wearing it.

This fantasy usually bears no resemblance to the reality of how I actually look in it.
More often than not, these dresses end up unloved and unworn.
Eventually getting donated to the local charity shop.

We all do it from time to time, don't we?

Fake Fabulous | Styling a shapeless dress.

This dress is one that I picked up after falling in love with the bold (but simple) striped design.

Unfortunately, this dress is basically a long vest top.
It has zero structure, and is not even lined.
Oh dear!

Unless you have the perfect body (which I most certainly don't!) dresses like this can be very unflattering.

3 Major Problems with this Dress.

  1. No lining.
  2. General lack of Shape and Structure.
  3. Poor Fabrication and Design placement.

It was a charity shop buy (for less than £10) BUT the original price would have been about £90.
Not to be sniffed at!
I was determined to wear it.

Fake Fabulous | Styling a shapeless dress.

NO LINING.

Many modern dresses are unlined, and not just the cheap ones either!
Some of the more expensive brands sell unlined dresses at lined-dress prices.
Often, the quality is seriously lacking, and we are just paying for the name on the tag (which I snip out anyway).
Depressing stuff.

An unlined dress has the tendency to cling, exposing (and highlighting) every lump and bump.
The seams of your underwear are on full display.
Even the dimples on your thighs are for public viewing.
Not a great look, at any age.

How can we fix it?

An all-over (and bold) pattern can help but, the only thing you can realistically do with a plain dress, is wear a slip.

{Well fitting, and seam-free, undies are a must}

A full-slip (if the top of the dress allows) or a waist slip, both work well.
Reducing cling, and allowing the fabric to skim.

{I would never recommend a body shaper, or a tight slip, but this is only because I don't like wearing them myself... if you feel good in them, then go for it!}

Wearing a slip does not fix the problem as well as a proper lining would, but it definitely helps a little.

LACK of SHAPE and STRUCTURE

As I said before, this dress is basically a vest.
The idea of such and effortless shape is great but, the reality is a little more challenging.

The front of this dress is low, without any shape or structure, which can result in the 'droopy-boobs' effect.
Older (and larger) boobs can look dragged down in this style of neckline.

My boobs are not large, and don't have the ability to hang down very far, but a design like this can drag them down anyway.

How can we fix it?

A decent bra helps, but there is nothing much I can do about the visual effect of this particular dress design.
The only trick in my arsenal is to distract the eye upwards using a chunky necklace and a big smile!

A wide belt could have helped (a little) but would have interfered with the overall pattern.

Speaking of which....

FABRICATION and DESIGN placement.

This dress is made of viscose and elastane.
A cheap and cheerful modern fabric.

{I sometimes miss the crisp cottons, soft linens and itchy wools of days gone by.}

Viscose is a great modern fabric (in many respects) but can also be unforgiving.
Especially if the design is not so flattering either.

I am convinced that whoever designed this dress was not thinking about normal women, with normal bodies.
Yes, a woman with a dancer's body is going to look great in it, but she would look great in anything anyway!

The rest of us don't need any help making our mid-sections look wider.
Especially anyone over 40.
Or a mother.
Or both!!

This design placement (involving white rings around the midriff ) is not going to do anyone any favours.
Not many women want to draw the eye to their middles (or tummies) which this does.
This dress is a tricky item for sure!

How can we fix it?

I wanted to keep the cleanliness of the design, but lose some of the thickening properties, so I added a cardigan (it was only 13 degrees) and a sheer scarf.
These two items help to break up the lines around the middle of dress, and tone down the chunkiness.

A longer cardigan, or waistcoat, would work well too.
If it is too hot for cardigans, jackets and gilets (lucky you!) then a lightweight scarf works on it's own.

Fake Fabulous | Styling a shapeless dress.

The only thing that is perfect about this dress (for me) is the length.
It is a true maxi length (I am 5 feet 6) and has plenty of sweeping swish and drama.

This low level hemline allowed me to wear a pair of casual gutties, for a laidback and comfortable feel.

Fake Fabulous | Styling a shapeless dress.

My little "Samantha" bag, finished this look off perfectly.

GET my LOOK





DRESS: Phase 8... from a charity shop. This one is gorgeous!
BAG: c/o Yosa
UNDER-TOP: M&S
CARDIGAN: c/o Bonmarche...this one is beautiful.
SCARF: My daughter's!  This one is cool.
SHOES: Puma
NECKLACE: Topshop

Fake Fabulous | Styling a shapeless dress.

Do you own any unflattering and shapeless dresses, or other items?
Please share in the comments... or contact me.
I love hearing your thoughts.

SHARE:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig