For the imperfect Fashion lover.

My Top 10 Tips | Making your own Style Rules



Fashion rules are everywhere.
All over the internet.
In every magazine you open.

Rules for your size.
Rules for your shape.
Rules for your colour.
Rules for your age.


These articles are always a curiosity to me.
Are they there to help us?
Are they trying to sell us something?
Are they meant to shame us into conforming, fading away and just disappearing quietly into the background?

{Shhhh ladies, don't cause a fuss or draw attention to yourself}

Some of these self-appointed rule makers really annoy me.
Especially those telling me I am too old to wear certain clothes.
I certainly don't agree with that!

However, some tips and tricks can be really helpful, for example dressing to suit your body shape.

BUT...
As Catherine from Not dressed as lamb proves, here (wearing ruffles over a large bust) sometimes these body shape rules should be ignored!

{See me breaking the short waist rules here, and here...how naughty!}

This got me thinking.
Even though I think I am against rules and restrictions, I do have my own set of personal style rules that I tend to stick to.
Am I a rule follower after all?


My 10 personal style rules:

  1. Details matter. Yes, people will notice your chipped nails or your unshaven legs, even if the rest of your outfit is stunning. On the other hand they also notice your quirky brooch, amazing shoes or pretty earrings too...result!
  2. Too much makeup never looks good, on ANYONE...ever. Wearing old fashioned (dated) makeup is really ageing, try to move with the times and keep up with the trends, even if it is just a nod with a lip colour or an eyeliner.
  3. On-trend nails can elevate a look. If you can't be bothered with colour, go neutral.
  4. Old shoes KILL an outfit and add years to your look. One way to update classic or basic clothes is with an on-trend shoe.
  5. Vintage shoes are VERY cool with MODERN clothes.
  6. Vintage clothes look VERY cool with MODERN shoes.
  7. Keep up to date with the shapes of your favourite items. Live in jeans? Make sure your jeans are a modern cut and wash. Love dresses? Keep an eye on new fabrics, silhouettes and colours.
  8. Try to incorporate the latest trends into your look, even if it is just a nod. A new belt, bag or scarf in the latest colour, pattern or fabric will bring your outfit up to date.
  9. When a new season starts, go into at least one shop (online or in the city) that you would never normally venture into and try something on that you would never normally try. {Read about my ideal shopping trip, here}
  10. Be BRAVE, don't worry about what people might think. If you like it, wear it!
So there they are.
My rules.
Made for me.
By me.
The only way it should be!


What style rules to you listen to?
Do you have any of your own?
Please share them in the comments....or contact me.
I would love hear your thoughts on my rules too.
SHARE:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig