For the imperfect Fashion lover.

Colourful Daytime Makeup, over 40.

Fake Fabulous | Colourful daytime makeup, over 40.

Look on the internet and you will find plenty of  makeup tutorials for women over 40.
Some are fantastic (thank you Lisa Eldridge)
Some not so good.

There are so many do's and dont's.
Countless 'rules' we should be obeying to stop us looking older, or trashy, or like mutton dressed as lamb.

The internet seems to think, that once we hit the big 40, we give up on having fun with makeup, and become obsessed with looking young, fresh and natural.

Well, natural makeup is great and it has it's place.
BUT...
What if you have resigned yourself to your ageing complexion, and can't be bothered with the battle to look younger?

What if you want to have some fun with what is left of your face?

Today, I was attempting to show you a step-by-step makeup routine.
With fantastic photographs.
Unfortunately, it turned out to be an epic photography fail!

I have no special lighting, or talented photographer.
It was just me and my remote, in my bedroom (near the window) and most of my photos were totally rubbish.
Out of focus and useless.

I had taken photos at each stage of application, but it was only when I had finished that I realised they were awful (they looked okay on the camera) and I could not be bothered to wipe my makeup off and start again.
I needed to go out.

What a complete waste of time.

Then I started to think.
What woman (by the time she reaches her 40's) does not know how to put on a bit of eyeshadow or a slick of liner?
I am hardly an expert.
In fact, I am more of a slap-dash (and hope for the best) makeup applicator.
Who really cares how I do things, anyway?

So, I decided that I would just show you my 'undone' face and then the finished look.
I am no makeup artist or model,  just a normal woman with a normal face.
I wanted to prove that we (as older women) can still wear a little colour on our crinkly eyes and older faces.
Who really cares that we don't look 20 anyway?

{Even if my makeup was more 'natural' I am not fooling anyone!}

Fake Fabulous | Colourful daytime makeup, over 40.

Here is my untouched up, unphotoshopped, unfiltered, fresh-out-of-the-shower face.
Complete with dark bits, veins, pigmentation, middle aged zits, fine lines, not-so fine lines, dark circles and those delightful age spots....don't you just love them?

Fake Fabulous | Colourful daytime makeup, over 40.

I thought I would share my face wash, and creams, with you.
To be honest, I just use whatever products catch my eye, I am not brand loyal at all.
However, I do have VERY sensitive skin and can resemble a beetroot if the wrong cream touches my face.
I am not joking.
My face has been know to turn purple.
I react to badly to Clarins in particular.

This is what I am using at the moment:
A foaming face wash from Arad (found in Tkmax for a couple of pounds)
Liz Earle toner (which I spritz on after washing)
Good old Nivea.
A cream that was a gift from a friend, by Monu.

Let's talk base...

Fake Fabulous | Colourful daytime makeup, over 40.

Foundation (and concealer) is such a tricky subject.
There are so many different products, and so many ways to use them.
It can be very confusing and easy to get wrong.

{I am happy to try most types of product from most brands, and have had fun doing it!
There have been some expensive mistakes but I usually just pass those onto my friends.}

Piling on foundation (and concealing products) does not improve the look of my skin.
It just makes me look older, and more tired.
I don't need any help with that!

I just add some concealer in the corners of my eyes (eyebright, which is pink toned and neutralises the blue, followed by Boing, which is yellow toned) and then a thin layer of foundation.
Not too much or I look awful.

At the moment I am using a mineral foundation.
Mineral foundation can cling to pores (and fine hairs) looking very ageing and ghastly.
The secret is to buff buff buff and then, when you think you are done... buff some more!
I also use a little of the yellow-toned 'Redness remedy' on any spots or veins.
It is not total coverage, but it takes the edge off my ruddy patches.

Then, I add a touch of blush.
A creamy one from Chanel is my current favourite.
It looks great, smells great and feels great.
Yes, it is a splurge but it lasts an age.

Products I am using:
Chanel blush (no 21)
Redness remedy (this is similar)
Bare minerals foundation (fairly light)
Boing by Benefit
Eyebright by Benefit

Here come the brows...

Fake Fabulous | Colourful daytime makeup, over 40.

My brows are quite (read:VERY) pathetic and need a serious helping hand.

{Thin brows are so old fashioned and very ageing}

So, I enhance them with some pencil followed by a matte eyeshadow to fill in the gaps.
Some brow gel stops those wild hairs escaping.

{My brows always go crazy during the day!}

The facial razor in the picture is what I use instead of plucking.
The razor is quick and painless, and leaves no red lumps.
It is also great for whizzing over any odd chin hairs (or the dreaded moustache).

{See my post on awkward facial hair here and why it's important to deal with it.}

Products I have used:
Bobbi brown taupe eyeshadow
Gimme Brow
Mac eyebrow pencil

The Eyes have it...

Fake Fabulous | Colourful daytime makeup, over 40.

I love makeup brushes (very much).
I have a few, and enjoy using them.

So, I use a different brush for each eyeshadow colour, and another one to blend.
You obviously don't need as many as this, you could do the whole job with one good brush.

A cotton bud is an essential tool for me, for corrections.
{I always sneeze after putting on mascara. So annoying!}

Also, I find a foundation sponge perfect for removing any shadow that has fallen too low at the outer corners. One sweep and it is fixed.

Fake Fabulous | Colourful daytime makeup, over 40.


For this colourful, but simple, look I used a neutral base shadow then a punchy orange all over my lid.
A Teal liner (for more colour and definition) and some of the teal shadow, from my palette, layered over the top.
Easy peasy.

Products I used:
Revlon colorstay quartet (wild savage)..this is nice. Although, I couldn't use it.
No 7 liner in teal (similar)
Rimmel nude liner (for the waterline)

Saving the lashes...

Fake Fabulous | Colourful daytime makeup, over 40.

Curling my (disappearing) lashes is a must, as is a lash primer.
Curl, prime then a couple of coats of mascara and I am done.

{Read here, my thoughts on failing lashes and false ones}

I used:
Benefit they're real primer
Eyelash curlers (mine are ancient, over 30 years old!)
The Body Shop Mascara (brown)..this one is great.

Fake Fabulous | Colourful daytime makeup, over 40.

Get Lippy...

Fake Fabulous | Colourful daytime makeup, over 40.

Normally, I prefer just a slick of lip balm but I know I should be lining my lips a little to give them definition.
I also know that lots of women love a great lipstick.
{I do wear more colour on my lips now thanks to THIS}

I used a nude liner and a lipstick very slightly darker than my lips.
I know gloss is out of style but I could not resist a slick too!

What I used today:
Bobbi Brown lipstick (rose petal)
Bare Minerals lipgloss
No7 nude liner (similar)
Vaseline, rosy lips

Fake Fabulous | Colourful daytime makeup, over 40.

What do you think?
Should we continue to have fun with makeup in our 40's, and beyond?
Or, should we tone things down and least attempt to look younger and fresh?
Do you wear colour on your face?

Please let me know your thoughts on this post....I love to hear them!

GET THE LOOK


SHARE:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig