For the imperfect Fashion lover.

Why you Shouldn't Always Believe the Mirror!

Why you shouldn't always believe the mirror! Fake Fabulous

Should you believe what the mirror tells you?
More often than not, No!

The mirror taps into your insecurities, 'distorts' your image and sometimes tells porky pies!
When we look at ourselves in the mirror we tend to focus on specific parts of our bodies (maybe the bits we are self-conscious about?) and miss the 'bigger picture'.

The simplest way to find a more truthful image is to take a photograph.
Whether it's a DIY snap in a full length mirror (hold your phone, or camera, at chest to waist height).
Or, get someone to help.

{Make sure the person helping doesn't photograph you from above, or you will be distorted... bobble head alert!}

Only when you look at a photograph can you see the 'truth'.
Then you can get a sense of your outfit, the details and see how you really appear to the outside world.

Why you shouldn't always believe the mirror! Fake Fabulous

{Please excuse my bed-sock marks! (It had been a chilly night). 
These photos were taken first thing in the morning and I was furiously rubbing lotion into them when I noticed, which was after I had left the house! 
Luckily they had faded a bit before I got into town.
Maybe I should have looked at the photos before leaving?
What an idiot!}

This look came together during the clearing out my wardrobe, and discovery of neglected items.

{I put together a BAD outfit in THIS POST with other "Maybe one day" pieces.}

This time it was the turn of an open-knit cardigan and an old (read: practically ancient) skirt from the 90's, plus a pair of classic red converse.

I was never inspired to wear this cardigan as it seemed a little pointless!
Not warm enough to offer any cosy cardigan benefits.
Not light enough to provide cool cover on a hot day.
All-in-all a useless, and quite a frumpy-looking, mistake.

Hmmmm....should it go straight in the charity pile?
Not before I give it a second chance!

I simply removed the neck tag (it would have scratched), buttoned it up and flipped it back to front.
Hey presto, a cropped top!

Why you shouldn't always believe the mirror! Fake Fabulous

The skirt is very old (over 20 years) and such good quality that I could never bear to part with it.
Unfortunately, every time I wore it I thought it made me look like I had a HUGE pot belly.
When I look down my body the bias cut fabric seems to cling in the ugliest way possible, and when I look in the mirror my eye is drawn to my paunch.

I know that mirrors can lie but it does dent your confidence, doesn't it?
Looking objectively at an outfit in a mirror usually fails because we tend to focus in on specific parts of our body, and miss what's really happening.

To my surprise, when I looked at the photos later in the day they didn't tell the same story as my mirror.
In fact I really like the shape of the skirt.
The fact that it feels great, is twirly and swishy, and super feminine means this skirt is a keeper!

Why you shouldn't always believe the mirror! Fake Fabulous

The shoes are the classic converse I struggled with in THIS POST.
I hoped they would have magically softened, or my feet would suddenly be tough enough to handle them.
Erm?
Nope!
Still bloody sore.
Maybe they deserve one more chance?
We'll see.

Why you shouldn't always believe the mirror! Fake Fabulous

My trusty Topshop bag and a colourful heart necklace finished things off nicely!

Are you having a wardrobe clear-out soon?
Do you give your neglected items one more chance before donating them?
Please share in the comments... I would love to hear what's heading out of the door!

SKIRT: From the 90's... Fenn Wright Manson
JUMPER: Old (the label was faded and I snipped it off)
SHOES: Converse
BAG: Topshop
NECKLACE: Old
GLASSES: Asda

Why you shouldn't always believe the mirror! Fake Fabulous
You can see my husband in my glasses in this shot. Hahahaha... I love it!


SHARE:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig