For the imperfect Fashion lover.

How to Wear a Leather Dress, over 40 | Green Leather and Denim

Fake Fabulous | Green leather dress, denim jacket, Boden belt and bag, Clarks peep-toe shoes.

Today I wanted to wear this (faux) leather dress.
I love the simple shape of it, and I was really drawn to the unusual colour.

It has raw edges, which I like, and a fitted T-shirt shape.
When I say fitted, I mean bust darts and a neat waist.
In fact, the waist is perfect!
A rare treat.

I have to admit that I would have preferred an extra two inches of fabric (at the hem) because of its flared shape of skirt.
I don't know why, but when it comes to short skirts, I feel much more secure in a neater, fitted shape.
I imagine this flared skirt flying up, in a gust of wind, to show the world my pants!

{Don't worry. This is very unlikely as it is a heavy fabric, but I still made sure I was wearing a decent pair, just in case}

Fake Fabulous | Green leather dress, denim jacket, Boden belt and bag, Clarks peep-toe shoes.

The dress itself could (in my opinion) be worn during any season.
Summer in Scotland is never that warm, so a piece like this is a genuine all-year-rounder.
Adding tights, in colder weather, and some cosy layers, would make it appropriate for the winter months too.
I can see this getting a lot of wear!

This leather dress is very occasion-versatile.
At first, a leather dress may seem like a difficult item to wear and style.
But, this dress could easily look smart(er), with the addition of a blazer or trench coat.
I am looking forward to styling it in many different ways.

Today I kept things really simple, and casual.
The sun came out, for a while, so my legs were out again.
Still blue-tinged though...sorry folks!

{I did pop on a pair of opaques (and changed my shoes), later in the day, as the temperature dropped}

I wrapped my denim jacket around my body and belted it.
This gave the jacket more shape, but still maintained that 'thrown on' feel.

I forwent bold jewellery, settling for my neon watch and a pair of tiny lemon slice earrings.
My old faithful neon edged bag, and my nude peep-toes, finished things off perfectly!

Fake Fabulous | Clarks nude peep-toe shoes

Things to consider when wearing leather (real or faux) at any age...

  • Leather can highlight lumps and bumps, drawing attention to them.
  • Black leather can be harsh and very draining on the skin. Black can cause shadows and accentuate lines..unless you are one of those lucky women with colouring that comes alive in black.
  • Leather can look a little vampish or trashy.
Fake Fabulous | Green leather dress, denim jacket, Boden belt and bag, Clarks peep-toe shoes.

Ways to make leather easier to wear...

  • Wear it on parts of your body you want to highlight. There are so many leather items out there you will easily find something to suit.
  • Avoid leather on problem areas. Unfortunately, those leather trousers are not going to hold in, and smooth out, your saddle bags or mummy tummy.
  • Try a softer shade. Try tan, nude or even green!
  • It you love the look of black, try teaming it with a more forgiving colour. Even popping on a necklace in 'your colours' can make all of the difference.
  • If you feel too dressed up (or like dress-up) in leather, layer a more casual piece over the top. An interesting cardigan, waistcoat or denim jacket can work well.
  • Play with textures. Try a silk blouse underneath your dress, of a fluffy jumper with your leather trousers.
Fake Fabulous | Green leather dress, denim jacket, Boden belt and bag, Clarks peep-toe shoes.

What do you think about (faux) leather?
Do you wear it?
Would you like to, but worry how it will look?
Please share your thoughts in the comments...or tweet me @samantha4blair

Jacket: Boden (old)..this one is nice.
Dress: Luna allegra (this one is cool...and would look great with black)
Earrings: Zara (these are cute)
Watch: Swatch
Belt: Boden (old) I wish I had this one in my collection!
Bag: Boden (old) I like this one.
Shoes: Clarks 

If you liked this post, you may enjoy...

Too old for a leather minidress?
Vinyl leggings ...for a wedding!?


SHOP THE LOOK


SHARE:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig