For the imperfect Fashion lover.

Stop Weight Shaming | Why it's Okay to Want to Gain Weight as Well as Lose it

Stop weight shaming | Fake Fabulous

It's very wet (and bitterly cold) today so fashion photos are out of the picture (pardon the pun) and cosy joggers are the order of the day!

However, I've turned this to my advantage because I've got the chance to make a start on a new project that's been neglected.

I had planned to start a "Health and Fitness" series a while back, and today's weather is the perfect opportunity to make a start!


I'm going to go straight in and tell you a secret...


Stop weight shaming | Fake Fabulous

I have weight goals (and body issues) and some people may not like them...

Some may even say I should sit down and shut my mouth.
Or, worse!
{More on that later}

Okay, I'm just going to come out and say it...

I've been at the skinny end of slim my whole life and now I'm in my 40's I'm trying to gain weight.
I'm trying to put on some pounds and get curvier, rounder, stronger and generally healthier.
I want some flesh on my bones to fall back on in later life.

Not that I'm saying being slim isn't healthy, it can be.
Nor am I saying that being heavier is healthy, sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't.

It's just I want to be heavier.
That's all.

Stop weight shaming | Fake Fabulous

I know that the fact I'm trying to GAIN weight is an annoying topic for some.
Even just talking about gaining weight can cause a lot of eye rolling and even a serious ruckus!

The mere mention of a gained pound has been known to evoke reactions as strong as ...

"Oh, F**k off Sam, you skinny bit*h! What do you know about anything?!"

Oop...
That's a bit harsh, isn't it?

Now, I completely understand that weight can be a touchy subject for lots of people.

Many of us are trying to lose it.
Some of us lie about it.
There are even those of us who obsess about it and talk/think about little else.
Some people even have their life on hold, waiting to reach their 'Target'.

However, just because my weight goals may be different from another person's does not make them any less valid.
No one should be weight shamed, regardless of their shape or size.

Everyone's weight goals and body issues are equally valid


Gaining (healthy) weight can be as much of a challange as losing it.

And anyway, why should I have to listen to hours and hours of diet talk, celebrating every lost pound, when the mere mention of a hard-earned gained pound is shot down in flames?

Don't get me wrong here people.
I don't get upset or hurt when told to F-off.

In fact, on that occasion, I laughed out loud!
{It was a close friend letting rip and she has her own weight and (serious) food issues to deal with, so I was not upset.}

BUT...
Her comments did make me think how important it is for us all to remember that one person's goals and/or issues are just as important as the next person's.

Whether or not you want to lose weight, gain weight, or maintain your weight... that's your choice and you are entitled to make it!

No one deserves to be weight-shamed

Just as you would congratulate a dieting friend for losing a few pounds, you should also congratulate a friend for gaining one or two... if that's their goal!

Stop weight shaming | Fake Fabulous

Luckily not all of my friends are in the "Get stuffed" camp!
I'm very lucky to have my (gym) buddies, each with their own goals and issues.

{That's not us in the photo above! 😝}

We're fortunate to have the support of each other.
Someone to cheer us on, regardless of their own standpoint.

As far as my weight is concerned?
I'm getting there!

Lifting weights and doing cardio has given me an extra 6lb (so far) and I'm only 2lb away from my goal.
(It's hard to add weight when your body sheds it so quickly.)

I want that curvy beach body in time for the summer and I'm determined to eat and exercise my way to it!

Stop weight shaming | Fake Fabulous

Please let me know your thoughts on this (potentially) touchy subject...

Have you ever felt weight-shamed?

Have you been dealing with weight issues your whole life?
Or, is your current concern more recent?

Do you want to make some changes to your lifestyle?
Or, are you happy and healthy?

Please share your story.
I'd love to hear it!
Please leave me a comment, or drop me an email and have your say.

I'm planning some further fitness posts and hope to be joined by some inspirational older women (just wait and see!), as well as fitness experts.
It's an exciting time and I've got everything crossed that it works out.

{Don't worry though, there'll be no sponsored content or hard-sell of products and services... that's not my style!
Read all about that HERE}

Never miss a post again... Just enter your email address below.
(Don't worry, there's no spam!)




You might also enjoy these (fun) fitness related posts...



SHARE:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig