For the imperfect Fashion lover.

Can you be a Feminist and still love Makeup?


Something happened the other day that really rattled my cage.
My hackles went up and my lip got all tooth barring and curly!

It was all to do with the dreaded F-word.
Feminism.

I know I'm late to the feminist party.
Feminism has been all over the news recently and you can even buy slogan emblazoned tatt in order to 'prove' your feminist credentials are genuine (more on that later).

BUT for some people, the word FEMINIST is a dirty word.
Admitting to being a feminist is on a par with admitting you don't wash your bedsheets.
Dirty Dirty DIRTY!

For some, a typical 'feminist' slots neatly into one unsavoury stereotype.

The hairy-legged (or lipped), man-hating, seriously angry woman.
Hmmmmm.... more on that in a moment too!

Something was said to me the other day that, initially, was a little confusing.
Then, seemed utterly stupid.

Anyone who knows me (or reads my blog) will know that I'm normally the kind of person who ignores 'negative' comments and often laughs them off as nonsense.
I tend not to get hurt or offended.

{Especially if someone comments on the way I look... Boring! 
I'm well aware of my flaws thank you.}

However, when I was told that I couldn't POSSIBLY call myself a feminist because I liked "Stupid and superficial" things like looking nice and (the ultimate sin) MAKEUP.
I felt confused and a little peeved.

How utterly bonkers to think that being a feminist means you have to give up makeup and shoes and get shirty at anyone who holds a door open for you.
What nonsense!

Apparently, according to this fool person, 'real' feminists NEVER pander to the superficial.
They don't wear makeup.
They don't cover their greys.
They don't even shave their armpits (ugh!?).

{Find out more on Why I think it's important to look 'Nice' HERE}

Real feminists don't give a monkey's uncle about looking 'nice'.

A true feminist will spit in the face of being attractive, wave a placard at the lippy-wearing masses and kick a few guys in the balls on her way home... especially if they dare to hold a door open for her!

Now for all those in any doubt here is the real meaning of the F-word:

Fem-i-nist
(fem-uh-nist)

Adjective 
1. Advocating social, political, legal and economic rights for women equal to those of men.
Noun
1. An advocate of such rights.

Now pardon me but there appears to be no mention of hairy legs or man-hating in there, does there?
Just equality.

So, my point is...
I know plenty of feminists.
None of whom are miserable, angry man-haters.

Most of whom love lipstick and eyeliner!
All of whom also quite like it when someone holds a door open for them... man or woman.

I really hope that my girls (and my son too) know it's okay to want men and women to have the same rights in life while still encouraging everyone to be who they want to be, look how they want to look and do what they want to do.

Feminism and being Feminine are not mutually exclusive!

And no, you DON'T need to buy a t-shirt that tells the world you are a feminist in order to BE one unless it's a t-shirt that makes you feel great when you wear it... and it goes with your lippy!

I'd LOVE to hear your thoughts on feminism, being a feminist and all of this business!
Please leave a comment or get in touch HERE.




SHARE:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig