For the imperfect Fashion lover.

The FAB 40's | 8 Ways to Wear Florals in your 40's.

Fake Fabulous | Fab 40's | Florals

Welcome to part two of the fab 40's.


I am honoured to be included in a group of international bloggers, called The fab 40's.
The purpose of the group is to show how different women interpret a specific 'theme', or style.

{There is a different theme every month}

Proving that being 40+ does not mean you have to be dowdy, frumpy, boring or forgettable.

Fake Fabulous | Fab 40's | Florals

Florals

This month the 'theme' was florals.
I don't mind admitting that I was quite apprehensive about my outfit options, this time around.
Last month's pink and red colour clash was something much more within my comfort zone.
Florals scare me a little.
They are a thin on the ground, in my wardrobe.

I have a floral-ish jumpsuit, but it is more of an 'oversized splodges' pattern than a true garden floral.
And, I also own a linen, floral skirt, but I hardly ever wear it.

This was a tricky one for me.

Fake Fabulous | Fab 40's | Florals

Today's Floral outfit came together very awkwardly, at first.

I originally had a different look laid out to wear.
A floral shell top and my striped trousers, but it felt nothing like "me".
More like a game of dressing up, and I knew it would look contrived and fake.

So, I binned it.
{Not literally!}

I was struggling to come up with anything else.
I put it down to me being more of a spur-of-the-moment mood-dresser, than a planner.
When my hand is forced (as it were) I end up feeling like I have nothing to wear.

{This is, of course, ridiculous.}

I needed to stop moaning, and get a grip!

So, in order to feel more like myself, I stepped into the familiar territory of pattern mixing.
Four patterns, to be precise!
This comforting pattern mix gave me the confidence I needed.

My floral blouse is not a loud and proud floral, but it felt right.
Sheer and petty, with a soft and muted floral design.
I decided to keep on the girly theme and wear a mini skirt.
This navy mini is quite short, and has a cutaway at each thigh (read about my wardrobe malfunction here) so flat shoes {in my opinion} are a must!
These snake print, pointed flats were the obvious choice.
I am wearing a pair of sheer tights, for warmth and to prevent the dreaded corned-beef-leg syndrome.

{It is March, in Scotland, after all!}

These tights are so beautiful that you can hardly see them on the leg.
Money well spent.

The shoes are just cheap, but quite comfortable after adding a stick on supportive liner.
Super flat, thin soled shoes are really bad for our feet and posture.
Luckily, stick on liners and supports are a cheap and simple solution.

{I always laugh at how big my feet look in nude flats.
They do elongate the leg and foot. I am only a UK 4 (37) , but look much larger here}

The floral blouse seemed to go nicely with the spots and the snake shoes, but I needed more...

My beloved, vintage Topshop, silk jacket added more familiar comfort (see it styled here and here,in summer).
Asymmetric, oversized earrings and my grab-bag, finished things off perfectly.

Over to you...
Do you love florals?
Or, are they out of your comfort zone?

Please let me know how you style your florals, in the comments...or tweet me @samantha4blair

Jacket: Topshop (vintage)...similar.
Skirt: Boden (this one is nice, and flirty!...and this one is lovely)
Blouse: Unknown (from a charity shop)..this is beautiful...this is a similar style without the florals!
Tights: Wolford
Shoes: Topshop (similar)
Bag: Hidesign (similar)
Earrings: H&M (these are nothing like mine...but pretty!)


Let me introduce...

Now it is time to introduce my fellow bloggers and their fabulous Floral outfits.

Dawn (from California) is making me a envious of her easy-breezy floaty dress, and the sunshine that goes with it!
There are only two colours in her dress...now that is something I could happily wear myself.
{I just need the mercury to rise a little more!}
This is a simple, but feminine, look and I am loving the extra floral "hit" from her vintage bag.


Floral dress: Calvin Klein
Floral handbag: Vintage
Gold weave wedges: Italian Shoemakers Brand (DSW)
Earrings: Bauble Bar


Sheela from Sheela writes.

Sheela is fearless and fiercely stylish!
This mix of patterns and colours is right up my street...and those shoes? Sigh. I love them.


Navy Blazer & Top: Thrifted
Polka Dot Leggings: JC Penny
Sunnies: Poshmark
Polymer Clay Rings: Etsy
Camellia Booties: ShoeDazzle

Andrea from Living on Cloud Nine.

Andrea is our guest blogger this month, from the Midwest.
Her blog is full of positivity and girly fun!
Her look is super-feminine, from head to toe.
Even her denim shirt can't escape the feminine touch, with a tie front and those fab chunky pearls!


Shirt: Loft
Maxi Skirt: Vintage Emanuel Ungardo
Shoes: Rosela 
Necklace: Fashion Bella
Bag: Hat Attack Tote
Bag Charm: Lenora Dame

Ann from Krembe de la Krembe

Ann is one talented lady.
She made this beautiful skirt and I want one (hint hint, Annie!).
I love how she tones things down, with a masculine shirt, and then amps up the femininity again with metallic heels and lacy socks!


Sunnies and earrings: Topshop
Necklace: from my Mom
Shirt and socks: Forever 21
Hamsa clutch: ASOS
Blue pumps: Vanilla Suite
Skirt: Kremb de la Kremb (hahahaha!)

Jennie from A pocketful of polka dots.

Jennie is someone who is not usually a fan of florals...although you would never guess from this shot!
The entire look, and the complimenting background, took my breath away.
Stunning!
I love how she tones down the floral punch with a plain tee and jeans.
So wearable.


Coat: Shein
Camisole:Worthington.
Jeans: jcp
Shoes: Bamboo
Ring: Charming Charlie
Necklace: Old


Diane from Fashion on the fourth floor.

Diane usually adds a tomboy twist to her looks.
And this is no exception!
Her skirt maybe a full-on punch of florals, but she tones it all down with her casual gutties and a simple tied shirt.
Feminine, but not frou frou...making a statement skirt more wearable, for real life.


Shirt:  Target
Skirt:  Beulah 
Sneakers:  Cole Haan (Zero Grand) 
Watch:  Fossil from Macy's
Bracelet:  Charming Charlie


Mary from Curlybyrdie Chirps

Mary's take on the theme is classy, elegant and feminine.
I was not at all surprised, she oozes femininity.
I love the floatiness of the dress with her fabulous hair!
Her darker accessories make the look seasonless, too.



Dress: Taylor via Steinmart 
Shoes: Kohls 
Bag: Coach
Necklace: Walmart

If you liked his post you might also like:

The Fab 40's do Red and Pink...together!

Inspired? Join in the floral fun, and get my look...



SHARE:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig