For the imperfect Fashion lover.

How to Wear Flares | Simple 70's Inspired Daywear.

Flared jeans and an off the shoulder top, over 40 | Fake fabulous

I know that I am quite late in jumping on the 70's-Style-flares bandwagon.
In fact, VERY late!
I honestly thought that I would avoid the trend all together.
However, flares don't seem to be going anywhere, do they?

In fact, all things 70's seem to be hanging around this year....as well as all things 90's, but that is for another day.

I have dipped my toe in subtle 70's styling, and a more punchy, 70's colour palette.
But, flares are something I have not really been into for a while (unless you count this wide legged jumpsuit?!)
However, that is about to change.

Flared jeans & an off the shoulder top | Fake fabulous

Kick flare cropped jeans are everywhere this SS16, and I love the look of them.
Perhaps I need to investigate this trend further?
But, in the meantime, I decided to dig out my full-length flared jeans.
Simple, and fast becoming a classic.

Flares are quickly taking over as the modern version of the old boot-fit.
I spent most of the 90's in low cut, boot-fit jeans and they were very cool.
Unfortunately, boot fit jeans can look hideously frumpy in 2016.

How to pick Flares to suit your body shape:


  • Curvy/Pear/Hourglass with a round bum and hips? OR Tall and Slender with Hips and Shoulders a similar width?

Keep your flares fitted on the bum and thighs.
Choose a "true" flare, as wide as you want.
Your shape can carry it off with great style!
Taller figures can carry off a tunic/kaftan over their flares, which looks fantastic.


  • Petite? OR Boyish/Apple shaped with a Flat Bum or narrow Bum and Hips? 

Keep your flares more subtle.
A neater flare will suit your shape better.
Big flares can look weird with narrow hips or a flat bum, making you look an odd shape.


What Shoes to wear with Flares?

  • Chunky boots
  • Platform sandals
  • Clogs
  • Flatforms
  • Converse-style trainers
  • Chunky heeled shoes.
  • Flat sandals

Shoes to Avoid when wearing flares:


  • Ballerinas
  • Pointed Court shoes (some people might disagree with this one!)
  • Delicate shoes
  • Anything that lets the hem drag on the floor or causes the half-mast effect!

Shopping for flares:



These Flares should be good for me...
However, as a short-waister, I can struggle to look nice in this kind of outfit.
I can end up looking a bit like a cube of cheese balanced on two cocktail sticks.
Not a good look!

I am breaking at least 4 short-waisted rules here!

  • Tucking in my tops (and a thick top too!)
  • Wearing high-waisted jeans.
  • Adding a belt...especially an embellished one that catches the eye.
  • Off the shoulder top (although I did spend most of the day with it pulled up into a cowl neck! Brrrr)

All 4 of these broken rules contribute to making my waist look even shorter, and therefore chunkier.

However, I wanted to wear this outfit and I feel pretty good in it, so the rule book went swiftly into the bin.
Rules are made for breaking, after all!

Side view of flared jeans outfit, over 40 | Fake Fabulous

These long flares are comfortable and (with the addition of my thermal layers) warm.
I decided to pair them with a simple knit (which can be worn off the shoulder) and chunky boots...it is still winter after all!
{I am actually wearing a strapless bra and thermal top under this jumper too! The top is the same colour as the jumper, and is super stretchy, so it can go on and off the shoulder with ease}

See these chunky boots Here, with a vintage coat. And Here, with white jeans!

I really wanted to wear these old (VERY old) Johnny loves Rosie earrings....they might even be classed as vintage now!

When I was a student, I bought them to wear to a "posh" party (they were quite pricey, at the time).
I remember pairing them with a purple satin slip dress (I have fond memories of those bra-less years, dressing was so easy!) and chunky shoes.
They have a pretty Russian doll design....I will put a close up on Instagram.
Yes, they are old.
No, they are not on trend (or the latest in earring design) but I still love them!

Do you ever break the "Rules" when dressing?
Or, do you get confidence from knowing that what you are wearing is tried and tested for your body shape?
Please let me know in the comments...or Tweet me @samantha4blair.

Johnny loves Rosie earrings | Fake Fabulous

Boots: Shellys (this is the shoe version...and on sale!)
Jumper: MissFoxy (similar)
Jeans: Tesco (similar)
Belt: TkMaxx (similar)
Earrings: Johnny loves Rosie (very old)...these are pretty and more "on trend"!
Bag: Barbour (similar)

Maroon and Denim | Fake Fabulous

Shop my look:





P.S. If you liked this post you might like this post, when I wear distressed denim. Or, this one, when I wore all-white back in the summer.
SHARE:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig