For the imperfect Fashion lover.

Styling a Vintage Coat | 1950's Wool Coat & Chunky Boots.

How to give a vintage coat a modern spin.

Styling a 1950's wool coat with skinny jeans and chunky boots.

I want to introduce you to this delightful coat...
It is a genuine vintage item.
Made in 1958, to be exact.

1950's Vintage Coat & Chunky Boots | Fake Fabulous

1950's Vintage coat & Chunky boots | Fake Fabulous

1950's Vintage coat | Fake Fabulous

The reason I know this, is that it belongs to my mother-in-law.
She wore it, on her wedding day, as part of her going away outfit and looked stunning.
It was also worn throughout her two pregnancies and is the perfect shape for maternity wear, how clever!
This vintage coat is a real beauty, with a rich history.

1950's Vintage coat | Fake Fabulous

Back in 1958, this coat was handmade in quality wool.
It has 3/4 sleeves, oversized pockets and a delicious satin lining.
The cut is a cool and unusual shape, gloriously oversized and a delight to wear.
It was ahead of it's time!

I love giving Vintage items a new lease of life.

This coat is almost 60 years old and could have been made yesterday.
I feel privileged to be able to wear something so incredibly well-made and stylish, as well as being so emotionally valuable.
You can almost feel the history woven into its fibres.

To stop Vintage items looking like "dress-up", I think it is important to add a super-modern element.
Today that modern edge came from my new (and ferociously chunky) boots.
I am a firm believer in keeping your footwear modern.
Even the most up-to-date dress can be dragged down, into Frumpsville, with a dated shoe.

{Unless you are styling a Vintage shoe of course!}

Chunky boots | Fake Fabulous

I know these chunky boots are not everyone's cup of tea, but they certainly stop this coat looking like a dusty old throw-back.
And (most importantly) I love them!

Once I had chosen the boots to pair with this Vintage coat, I knew I had to keep the rest of my outfit understated.
I did not want to compete with the beauty of its Vintage shape.
I wanted a simple, but different, daytime look.

Choosing a plain jumper and skinny blue jeans, I kept the colour palette tonal.
However, I could not resist some chunky wool socks for a bit of warmth (and texture).

My boots have plenty of attitude, stopping me looking too prim and ladylike.
I just let the boots, and the vintage coat, do all of the talking!

I finished the outfit off with navy gloves and a black beret.
Simple.

1950's Vintage coat & Chunky boots | Fake Fabulous

Are you lucky enough to own any items from the 50's?

Do you have a favourite vintage era?

Please let me know in the comments...or tweet me @samantha4blair. 
Coat: Vintage (similar...ish!)
Jeans: Topshop
Boots: Shellys London, Sold out!! These are the shoe version and they are EPIC! These boots are cool too.
Beret: Tkmaxx, This wool one is nice too.
Gloves: Old, these are nice.
Jumper: Primark, This one is nice.

Shop my look:


SHARE:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig