For the imperfect Fashion lover.

How to wear leggings, at any age | Tweed leggings & Red layers.

Leggings are everywhere, in every shop, every colour and every price point.
But do they ever look good?
Can we look stylish in leggings?

Look up "Wearing leggings" and many blog posts, articles and youtube videos pop up.
With various levels of success.
Some looks are quite nice.
Even stylish and inventive (Check out this post by 40+ style)

But, most are boring and only look half-decent on a model-proportioned teenager.
And, let's be honest, they could look good in a bin liner!

Back in the real world...
Plain black leggings (in my opinion) are good for:
  • Under trousers (on a cold day).
  • Exercise....although, having said that, running trousers or yoga pants would be preferable.
  • Putting the bins out.
Okay, maybe that is a little harsh!
I must apologise to all of those legging-lovers out there.

I know they are super-comfortable.
But, those plain, black, cotton leggings are lazy dressing at it's worst.

Having said all of that, I do love skinny jeans and skinny trousers.
And, I love being comfortable.
So, can I find leggings but without the "Meh" factor?

Now is probably a good time to point out that I have worn leggings on many occasion....
I like to try new things, and I am willing to reassess my thoughts on an item of clothing.
Although, those black cotton leggings will NEVER find a place in my wardrobe.

However, I am open to a bit of Leather, Vinyl, or Tweed!

See this post where I am wearing Vinyl leggings (to a wedding, no...honestly)
Or, this post in (faux) leather ones.
Comfort and style....a combination that I am constantly searching for.

How to wear leggings, over 40 | Fakefabulous

This outfit is based around a pair of tweed leggings.
And, is all about the comfort (and warmth).
This pair are tweed-effect and have (faux) leather panels at the waist.

I wanted to wear a long shirt to skim over my bottom, so I reached for this orange chiffon (extra long) one.
{I seem to be slightly obsessed with oranges, reds and burgundys these days. I promise to find a different shade in my wardrobe soon!}

This orange shirt has pewter-coloured, metal buttons which add some more interest.
I was also needing a layer of warmth, so I popped on a thermal underlayer and my burgundy cropped jumper over the top (you can see it styled here with a cape).
My red bag was the perfect partner to this look.
See it styled here...minus my furry pompoms!

I was wearing my orange coat today too (Seen Here and Here) in case you were wondering...you can see it in my instagram snap from work.
Plain, but chunky, boots gave me the height (and comfort) I was looking for and my metal "fishing weight" earrings and a cute orange/hot pink necklace, finished things off nicely.

Layering shades of red | Fakefabulous

Makeup over 40 |Fake Fabulous

Wearing leggings, over 40  over 5!

  • Buy the best quality you can afford. Avoid those cheap and thin ones that you can pick up for a few pounds. They will go baggy at the knees and bum. A decent fabric weight is a must.
  • Make sure they fit well. Don't get a smaller size in order to 'hold everything in' and look slimmer or firmer. It does not work.
  • Try some texture (e.g. tweed or brocade), or detail (e.g. ruching or leather panels) or pattern (e.g. fun fairisle, leopard, jacquard).
  • Remember LEGGINGS ARE NOT TROUSERS....unless you are heading out for a run, even then buy some yoga pants, joggers or fun running leggings. Even if you have a bottom like Kylie (in the spinning around video) don't' do it!
  • Don't wear leggings as tights either....buy footless tights if you want that look.

Tops to wear with leggings.

Good quality, and interesting, leggings CAN look great and give more wearing options to the following items:
  • Longline shirts or tunics.
  • Asymmetrical tunics or oversized slouchy tops.
  • Long (and slouchy) jumpers {be careful of the "classic" jumper dress and leggings combo...it can look really frumpy, especially with knee boots.}
  • Oversized and funky sweatshirts.
  • Shorter tops/shirts with a extra-long cardigan or waistcoat.
  • Shorter dresses. Be careful with this combination, it can look odd, take a photograph if you are unsure.

Shoes to wear with leggings.

This is the hardest part for me...shoes can dramatically change the overall look of the legging and the 'feel' of the outfit:
  • Ballet flats give a girly feel. Very cute and feminine. Try some colour, or patent leather, or both!
  • Court shoes can be VERY sexy {Think, leopard courts and leather leggings} or look quite 'vintage' {50's pin up or 80's disco diva}.
  • Ankle boots can be anything from very casual to very dressy, depending on the style. This would be my go-to footwear choice. However, they can be unflattering on the leg...take a photo if you are unsure.
  • Booties and shoe-boots can look fabulous!
  • Knee boots can look great or really frumpy, depending on the look of the legging and the style of the boot.
  • OTK (over-the-knee) boots can look amazing with leggings {Think, purple suede, flat OTK's, jacquard leggings and slouchy knit...yummy).
  • Brogues (or oxfords) can look chic and edgy, if you find a style that fits the mood.
  • Sandals (high and flat) work too. Cage sandals or ghilles look especially good. Not today though, my toes would snap off in the cold!
  • Converse or high-tops give off an effortless vibe, and look especially cool with a slouchy sweatshirt.
Let's shop for leggings!



Please let me know what you think of leggings.
Comfortable and stylish? Or, just sloppy, lazy and a bit Yuck?!


Please share any style tips you have....I love to read your comments!


Leggings: River Island (half price!)
Boots: London Rebel (similar and in the sale)
Cropped jumper: French Connection. (similar)
Orange shirt: Brave soul (similar)
Necklace: Primark
Bag: Bognar (a gift from a friend) This one is nice
Earrings: Newlook (similar)
Pompoms: Topshop

Get my look:




SHARE:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig