For the imperfect Fashion lover.

Low Buy Update • I've Been AVOIDING YOU

Low BUY • Fake fabulousAnother week into my Low-buy and much as I'd like to be the font of knowledge and wisdom I have to admit that it's not getting any easier!
It was a rocky start last week... Read about it HERE.
This low-buy business is TOUGH.

I'm sharing my update LATE because....
The truth is....
Hmmm....

I've been avoiding you!

There.
I've said it.

It's confession time....


This week was supposed to be easier.
I was expecting to start feeling good about saving.
Saving money, time AND the environment.

However, it's tougher than it sounds.

Being on this mission of change I (naively) thought I could be this beacon of positivity and strive forward making a difference all whilst sharing my tips and tricks with you.

Hmmm?
Did this happen?

Find out more in my (full-disclosure) spending diary below....

Dear Diary....
After last week's weaknesses (eBay... and others!) I'm determined to do better.
I'm pretty pleased with how many UNSUBSCRIBES I did last week.... not to mention the (more tricky) UNFOLLOWS. 
To be honest, I've missed some my favourite Youtubers (and a few email updates) BUT I'm getting over it! 
Not being sucked in to recommendations is doing my wallet some good. 
So this week I'm continuing my mission to be a better shopper and a better consumer.
Here goes... 
WEDNESDAY 17th:

Check me out! 
I bought NOTHING that wasn't an essential today.
Feeling pleased with myself, especially after last week's slip ups. 
I CAN DO THIS!

Positive Actions:
  • Unsubscribed from any emails as they arrived in my inbox. 
Weaknesses: 
  • None! 
Strengths: 
  • Not shopping 
  • Not shopping!
  • NOT SHOPPING!
TOTAL Non-Essential SPEND:
  • £0 (insert SMUG face!)

THURSDAY 18th:

I've had another positive day. No non-essential shopping.
Have I cracked it?
Positive Actions:
  • I took my own food into work instead of buying lunch and snacks.
Weaknesses:
  • None today!
Strengths:
  • Deleting  and unsubscribing as emails come in.
  • Putting marketing letters straight in the recycling... NO I don't want 20% off your stuff thank you!
TOTAL Non-essential SPEND:
  • £0 
(YES!!)

FRIDAY 19th:

Oh dear... things went seriously TITS UP today.

Once again I ate all of my lunch at tea break and then bought another lunch at lunchtime... (NOTE TO SELF: Take more food on a Friday!)
Things then went from bad to worse...

I bought 2 fashion magazines on the way home. I wasn't buying magazines remember?! 
PLUS chewing gum... I don't even like chewing gum....sigh. Why?
glass of wine after work and I'm online buying a pair of wedge espadrilles on eBay.
I could argue that they've been on my WISH LIST for a long time but the truth is that I admired them on someone at work and immediately searched eBay to find them in my size.
Yes, they were a massive bargain BUT I didn't need them. 
I have other perfectly decent shoes.
It gets worse... 
I decided I needed to buy more suncream for myself and the family.
I then found myself buying more than I needed (Suncreams and tanners) PLUS I added a random blouse to my basket too.
A blouse I definitely don't need! 
Another FRIDAY Fail.
Postive Actions:
  • (I'm struggling to find a positive here!) Maybe identifying MAJOR shopping triggers...Post work stress + Alcohol.
Weaknesses:
  • Not doing anything about my triggers... Alcohol and browsing online! (just stupid) 
  • Buying a pair of shoes I didn't need. 
  • Buying magazines I didn't need... and gum I didn't even want!  
  • Deciding to shop for things I needed while holding a glass of wine in my hand. (Duh!) 
  • Buying much more than I should when shopping for things we needed. 
  • Adding a completely unnecessary purchase (the blouse) to my basket
Strengths:
  • None today.... just pathetic really.

TOTAL Non-essential SPEND:
  • £94 (£5 in M&S (lunch) £9 in WH Smith (magazines) and £17 on shoes, £63 on creams and a blouse).... Shameful behaviour.
  • I also bought things for my daughter and a bodysuit (underwear) I genuinely needed... I'm calling these an essential even though they weren't really!... This would push the total over £120 so I'm not including them.

SATURDAY 20th:

I'm suffering from a post-shop guilt.
Something needs to be done!
I'm not shopping AT ALL today.
Not a thing, not even things the family needs! 

Positive Actions:
  • Avoiding online browsing.
Weaknesses:
  • Feeling generally rubbish TBH!
Strengths:
  • I didn't shop today BUT I still don't feel great about it.
TOTAL SPEND:
  • £0 (big wow... not!)

SUNDAY 21st:

A good day today!
I did shop online BUT out was for essentials (from the pharmacy, toiletries and medicines etc) I also did something BIG.
I deleted the eBay App from my phone. 
This might sound trivial to you but it's big news for me.
I now have NO SHOPPING APPS on my phone and the only social media I have on there is Instagram.  
Postitive Actions:
  • Not shopping, apart from things we needed.
  • Deleting the eBay app... phew!
Weaknesses:
  • None today!
Strengths:
  • Getting rid of eBay.
TOTAL Non-essential SPEND:
  • £0
  • I did spend £80 in Boots on things for the family and myself... but these were things we genuinely needed. 

MONDAY 22nd:

After my essential shopping yesterday I'm wondering if shopping for essentials acted like a buffer for my compulsive browsing?
Were my feelings of success premature? I think probably yes.
Essential shopping is still shopping after all AND, if I'm completely honest, were all of the items REALLY ESSENTIALS?
Hmmmm.... probably not! 
I need to be more careful. 

Positive Actions:
  • Not browsing.
  • Reflecting on my behaviour. 
Weaknesses:
  • None today!
Strengths:
  • Being aware of my weaknesses.
TOTALNon-essential SPEND:
  • £0
TUESDAY 23rd:

Today went well.

I DID find myself online (on eBay again!!)  looking at stay gold sandals but I didn't make offers or buy anything.
I just looked and admired and checked myself by remembering that I have a REAL LIFE of trainers and sandals, not a FANTASY LIFE of gold scrappy heels.
Reality check!

A good day.

Positive Actions:
  • Checking myself but still enjoying looking at the pretty shoes!
Weaknesses:
  • None... I felt strong today.
Strengths:
  • Realising what I was doing and checking myself.

TOTAL SPEND:
  • £0 

So there it is.
A real mixed bag!

I realised something this week.
Something I need to face up too....

Post-work is a trigger for me.
As is a glass of vino.
Add the two together and I'm in trouble!

This week I'm determined to avoid the Friday trap of spending.... I'll let you know how it goes next time!

I'd love to know how you're getting on.
What is your main TRIGGER?

Leave a comment or drop me an email at the usual address.
XXX
SHARE:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig