For the imperfect Fashion lover.

When Shopping isn't Fun!

Whistles Denim Bustier Dress, Chiffon Floral Blouse, Clarks Original Wedges | Fake Fabulous

I'm very lucky to be able to say that shopping has always been easy for me.
Budget restrictions aside, finding the right fit has never been a problem.

I'm the standard height and dimensions for my size, and don't (normally) bother trying things on in the changing rooms.
Shopping is quick and efficient.
Grab and go.
Freeing up more time for the fun side of a shopping trip.

{Read this post for my idea of the perfect day out 'shopping'... it's not all pounding that pavement!}

Even online shopping is a doddle.
Pop my size in the basket and "Job's a good un!"
Same for everyone else, right?
Erm?
Wrong!!!

My eyes have been well and truly opened when it comes to the potential misery a shopping trip can be.

{Shopping hell is bit like toothache, unless you experience it first hand you've not got a clue!}

More on that in a moment...

Whistles Denim Bustier Dress, Chiffon Floral Blouse, Clarks Original Wedges | Fake Fabulous

Back to this outfit.

Denim and floaty florals are a classic combination for me.
A bit little tough.
A bit little soft.
Adding simple neutral accessories makes for a quick and easy look!
Feminine and practical.

This interesting (but simple) denim dress was for sale on eBay, and I snapped it up quickly!
I cut off the straps because I wanted a 'bustier' look BUT, the straps were actually too short for my shoulders anyway.
This is more and more common with "off the peg" clothes these days.

Manufacturers assume that if you are a certain dress size then you are either short or tall.
Of course the manufacturers have to go with the most common measurements but, sometime I feel that the clothes don't really fit anyone!

After discussing this problem with a few women, we struggled to find anyone who is the "normal" shape or size.
Does this woman exist beyond the world of fit models?

Clarks Originals Sand Suede Ankle Strap Wedge | Fake Fabulous

Back to shopping hell...

As someone who is a pretty standard size with average proportions (and height) shopping has never really been a problem, so I couldn't understand why women said they hated it!
Hate shopping?
What are you talking about?!
Surely it's easy and fun?

Then two things happened...

Firstly, brands stated distorting their classic proportions, and buying trousers was no longer "Grab and Go".
Slowly but surely trouser shopping began to cause me problems.
Waists too big, tight on the bum and half-mast lengths.
Who do these trousers fit?
Whatever happened to popping into your favourite shop and picking up your size without needing to try anything on?

THEN.... the big eye opener.

Shopping with a friend (for her mum) seemed like a great idea.
Shopping is easy and her mum's figure just needed a few specific style elements to make her look amazing.
Petite with a very large bust, and teeny waist... feminine and beautiful!
I knew what we needed.
Easy.

Off out we went with our list of colours and preferred styles.
I was there to help and have fun along the way.
Except is was NO fun!

I realised (very quickly) that nothing was suitable.... and I mean NOTHING.

The latest trends and colours were everywhere, but they had not been modified to suit the size on the swing tag.

For example;
A round-neck, ruffle-sleeve top looks great on small frame, and a neat bust.
BUT, on a size 16 bust there should be some modification to flatter the more rounded body.
Simple touches to make a curvier woman look her best.
Bust darts to stop the mono-boob-shelf-effect.
Some shaping at the waist.
Maybe even changing the neckline into a V to allow larger chests room to breathe.
None of this happened.
The same shapeless items were just scaled up or down.
Unflattering and unsuitable.
How frustrating!
This wasn't any fun at all.

For the first time in my life the whole shopping experience felt disappointing.
We left with nothing.
A first for me.

I get it now!

I get why women love shoes, handbags and scarfs so much!
I see why we enjoy shopping for our lipsticks and nail polishes.

Accessories and beauty products can always be relied upon to fit.
Clothes (as I found out) not so much.

This is why I think it is so important to try different brands and venture into unusual shops.
Don't rule out any brand or any store.
Shop around.
Browse.
Take your time.
Take notes.
NEVER leave shopping for an important item until the last minute.
Shopping (for some women) takes time and serious effort.

Hat's off to you ladies that manage to make it look so easy!

As for my friend's mum?
Well, that's an ongoing project and a job for another day.... Wish us luck!

What brands fit you well?
Do you LOVE or HATE shopping?
How do you get clothes to fit you properly?
Do you alter them or "make do"?

Please share your shopping story in the comments... I would LOVE to hear it!

Whistles Denim Bustier Dress, Chiffon Floral Blouse, Clarks Original Wedges | Fake Fabulous

DRESS: Whistles, from eBay.... this one is nice, and on sale!
BLOUSE: Charity shop.... this one is so pretty.
SHOES: Clarks... these are high but Fab!.... these are gorgeous.
BAG: Vintage...this one is bigger and more practical.
EARRINGS: H&M... these are cool and reduced!
GLASSES: Primark.... these are gorgeous.

GET THE LOOK


SHARE:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig