For the imperfect Fashion lover.

Matching your Shoes and Bag | Frumpy or Cool Again?

Matchy matchy Bag and Shoes | White, pink and grey in winter | Fake Fabulous

Matching your bag with your shoes... that's pretty naff isn't it?
Frumpy.
Old Fashioned.
Boring.
Right?

Well....

Matchy matchy Bag and Shoes | White, pink and grey in winter | Fake Fabulous

I'll start at the beginning of this bag-and-shoe-matching story....

As a blogger you are often contacted by companies wanting to send you things to feature on your blog.
Many of these offers receive a polite "No thank you" for several different reasons.
The main reason (for me) is if the items are not something I would normally buy.
They may not be my style, or they may be unsuited to the Scottish climate!

I don't ever want to feature anything that I would not happily wear (or use) in real life.

So, when the people at Van Dal contacted me I initially said "No thank you" because Van Dal is a brand I assumed catered for elderly ladies with bunions.

And, as much as elderly ladies (with bunions) deserve nice shoes surely there would be nothing for me?

Hmmm....I decided to have a look anyway.

Yes, there are a few "bunion" styles (and many of the designs leave me cold) but, these Albion heels really caught my eye!
So many gorgeous colour choices, the perfect heel height and really well made.
Whats not to like?
This silvery colour screamed "Spring is coming!!!" and I know they will be so versatile when it comes to summer evenings.

Matchy matchy Bag and Shoes | White, pink and grey in winter | Fake Fabulous

I have been wearing boots for so long that I forgot how to use my feet (and brain) sinking into the gaps and almost falling over!
Numpty!

Matchy matchy Bag and Shoes | White, pink and grey in winter | Fake Fabulous

I went against everything I normally do when out shopping, and picked a bag to match.
Matching my bag and shoes!
What was I thinking?
Had I lost my mind?

I was going to say that I haven't matched my bag and shoes since 19-whatever.... but the truth is I have never matched and I never thought I would.
But, never say never...right?

Matchy matchy Bag and Shoes | White, pink and grey in winter | Fake Fabulous

It was hard to resist this lovely little bag with it's butter-soft leather finish.
A simple design that can easily be dressed up (or down) with the addition of any bag charms you like.
In my case, a couple of furry pom poms... much to my husband's amusement!

Matchy matchy Bag and Shoes | White, pink and grey in winter | Fake Fabulous

The rest of the outfit came together easily.
I wanted to keep the colours light and soft, in keeping with the soft winter sun and the dampness in the air.
The mild weather allowed me to (almost) bare my ankles without losing a limb!
It was a beautiful winter's day.

The soft pinks and greys made me feel feminine and elegant.
White jeans are still casual, but a little smarter than the normal blue.
A simple and comfortable look.

Matchy matchy Bag and Shoes | White, pink and grey in winter | Fake Fabulous

So, is it cool to go all matchy matchy?

3 Tips for matching your bag to your shoes, with effortless style.

1. Take it easy when it comes to hair and makeup.

Being too "over-done" is always ageing.
The perfectly coiffed hair style is a one way ticket to frumpsville.
Whether it's perfect curls or a pristine turned under blow dry.
Helmet hair is not cool.

Take a look at some super-stylish women...
Their hair always has an element of haphazard effortlessness to it.

{Think Kate Moss, Leandre Medine, Vanessa Paradis, Audrey Tautou...I could go on, and on, and on......}

The same goes for makeup.
Makeup can be your best friend, but can also age you 15 years!
Full-on skin, brows, eyes and lips (all together) is not cool.
Go bold if you like, just not all over.
A red lip looks stunning with natural (looking) skin and understated brows/eyes.

2. Keep the rest of your outfit on the casual side of smart.

Let the matching bag and shoes be the smart element of your look.

I know that the classic time to wear a matching 'set' is for a wedding, but try to resist this urge to go all "Stepford wedding guest".
It is much cooler to coordinate (or even clash) than match perfectly.
Avoid stiff fabrics and that 'matching dress/jacket/ hat/shoes/bag' generic look.
You could try a floaty dress (new or vintage) or a skirt and top, with your matching accessories.

{See some of my wedding outfit ideas HERE, HERE and HERE... one involves vinyl leggings!}

3. Believe it looks good and it will!

At the end of the day, if you believe in yourself, and your style choices, you WILL look good.
If you want to match your bag, shoes, dress, jacket, nails and eyeshadow then go for it.
Why not?
It's your life and your style.

Fashion is supposed to be fun after all!


POM POMs: Various
JEANS: ME&EM... these are perfect!
WAISTCOAT: White Company... This one is smart.
SHIRT: French Connection... this is so pretty.
EARRINGS: Vintage... similar

How do you feel about Matchy Matchy dressing?
Cool?
Cringeworthy?
Or, Comfortable and safe?

Please leave a comment or contact me... I would love to hear your thoughts on this!


 GET the LOOK


SHARE:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig