For the imperfect Fashion lover.

How to Wear Ugly Clothes!

Oversized Mustard Handknitted Cardigan, Khaki Biker Jeans & Grey Clarks Wallabees | Fake Fabulous

Style (like beauty) is a very subjective thing, isn't it?
One person's "Eclectic delight" is another's "Wackadoodle".
A 'classic combination' to someone, can be a frumpy yawn-fest to another.

We are all different, and thank goodness for that!

Because if everyone thought the same way as me, I wouldn't be the proud owner of this chunky knitted cardigan.

I'll explain....

Oversized Mustard Handknitted Cardigan, Khaki Biker Jeans & Grey Clarks Wallabees | Fake Fabulous

This oversized hand-knitted cardigan had been donated to my local charity shop.
I know that many people would baulk at the thought of anything hand-knitted (let alone second-hand) especially in a bright colour like mustard.

With it's bold embroidered details, and oversized sloppy shape, this cardigan is not winning any popularity contests!

It is undeniably UGLY.... but it was love at first sight for me.

Oversized Mustard Handknitted Cardigan, Khaki Biker Jeans & Grey Clarks Wallabees | Fake Fabulous

In my eyes this cardigan has more than it's fair share of attributes...


  • It's Hand-knitted, and I just LOVE handmade knitwear! 
The time and effort that has gone into creating something like this makes me appreciate it even more.
I can imagine the needles clicking away for hours.
The counting.
The occasional reverse repair.
Maybe even the frogging to re-knit a section.
In short, blood sweat and tears!

  • It's totally unique. 
Every handmade item is unique.
Even if the knitter was following a pattern, there is never going to be another one exactly like this anywhere.
It's my own bespoke piece!

  • It's mustard. 
It may not be a very popular shade but I LOVE mustard.
It's bright, warm and happy... casting a glow onto my skin and making my hair richer and redder.
What's not to love about that?

  • It's made of Wool. 
Woollen items are so hard to come by without spending an arm and a leg (or making do with lesser quality).
This cardigan is made of chunky wool, and is delightfully warm and comforting... like wearing a big hug!

  • It's embroidered.
Embroidery is supposed to be big fashion news this year, but even if it wasn't I love the thought of someone working away on this chunky design... just for me!

Oversized Mustard Handknitted Cardigan, Khaki Biker Jeans & Grey Clarks Wallabees | Fake Fabulous

Oh....
Did I mention that it was reduced to a pound?

Yes, ONE pound.
Now that's what I call a bargain!

The rest of this outfit came together very easily.
The ugliness of my sloppy cardigan seemed the perfect partner for my (possibly uglier?) ugly shoes.

Oversized Mustard Handknitted Cardigan, Khaki Biker Jeans & Grey Clarks Wallabees | Fake Fabulous

{See these shoes styled  HERE and HERE.}

Khaki biker style jeans, and a leopard print shirt, made for a cosy and colourful outfit.
A dragonfly pin and this little vintage bag (in a neutral shade) finished things off nicely.

Unpopular (or commercially unattractive) clothes can often give us the most pleasure.
Something unusual and unique.
Something with a little personality and soul.
Something different from the norm.

If you love it, and wear it with a smile, it becomes a thing of beauty!

Oversized Mustard Handknitted Cardigan, Khaki Biker Jeans & Grey Clarks Wallabees | Fake Fabulous

Luckily (for this cardigan) beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder!

Do you have any ugly clothes (or shoes) that you love to wear?
How do you feel about Handmade and/or Secondhand clothes?

Please share your thoughts in the comments.....or CONTACT ME.
I love to hear your opinions!





TROUSERS: Falmer at Matalan ...similar.
SHIRT: Topshop... this one is nice.
CARDIGAN: Charity Shop find.... this one is as similar as I could find!
SHOES: Clarks.
BAG: Vintage... this one is similar.
PIN: Old...similar.

GET THE LOOK



SHARE:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig