For the imperfect Fashion lover.

Trying new colours | Sage and Navy

Why should we try new colours?

Why bother trying to style colours that we don't normally wear?
Is it not better to keep doing what we know works for us?
To keep wearing the colours (and styles) that we have tried and tested, and thereby, never making a fashion mistake?

At this point I could ramble on about pushing yourself, never giving up or giving in, always ensuring that you continue to evolve your style, growing and learning, keeping up with trends, pushing boundaries, being open minded to new ideas....blah blah blah...

All of these things are true.

BUT, the real truth (for me) is...
I get bored.
Simple as that.
I just get bored of wearing the same old things in the same old ways.
How tedious is it to reach (unthinking) for the same colours?
To put together the same outfit combinations, day in and day out?

Clothes are not a necessity to me, they are a pleasure. Something to be enjoyed.

We don't need a whole new wardrobe, full of expensive items, every season.
A few new pieces can shake things up a little, and make old things seem like new.

So, every season, I experiment with colour.

Fake Fabulous | Topshop sage fluffy jumper and navy velvet trousers.

Today I am wearing a colour I never thought I would....a muted (and soft) Sage Green.

Pale Sage Green is a colour I have always avoided.
Reminding me of (very) old ladies at weddings.
The kind of colour I thought I would end up wearing when I was done with life and just wanted to disappear into the background.
What is it about certain colours that evoke such strong reactions?
I was spurred into colour-action by receiving this necklace as a Christmas gift, from my step daughter.
I instantly loved it, but realised (quickly) that I had nothing to wear with it!
Having always said that there was more green needed in my wardrobe, I now had a perfect excuse to start looking.

This cropped (and fluffy) sweatshirt seemed the perfect partner for my new necklace.

Fake Fabulous | Sage fluffy jumper and Chunky necklace

How to try a new colour

  • Buy something!

This seems obvious but, if you just procrastinate about trying new things, it never happens.
So, go out (or go online) and buy something completely different.
  • Buy your 'New Colour' in a shape that you are familiar with.
Try getting a very familiar style, but in your new choice of colour.
Cropped tops and fluff are no strangers of mine.
Skinny jeans or tights would be other familiar items I could use.
What would be yours?
The modern shape (and fabric) of my sweatshirt helped to offset any "old lady" feelings that I might feel bubbling up.
  • Wear your new hue with some old (and familiar) favourites.
To make the colour-experiment easier, try teaming your new item with some old faithfuls.
Everything else I am wearing here is between 2 and 10 years old.

Fake Fabulous | Sage fluffy jumper and navy velvet trousers.

Once I had bought my new fluffy sweatshirt, the rest of the outfit fell together easily.
The necklace needed a contrast, so I chose a denim shirt and a fine polo neck.
These were great for mixing up the colours and textures, not to mention that extra layer of warmth that I love!

Navy velvet trousers added a depth of colour and more texture, while my green tote bag made the sage seem more at home with the blues.

Chunky boots finished things off perfectly, without actually going with anything I was wearing.
The reason?
They go with my hair!

Matching your hair to your shoes works to pull an outfit together even more.
Like a pair of bookends, keeping everything in the middle nice and tidy.

Fake Fabulous | Sage fluffy jumper and navy velvet trousers.

After looking through the photos and thinking about my own colour choices, I started searching online for colour palettes that include sage.
The popular colours to mix with sage seem to be peach and cream...sometimes including a soft tan.
Really pretty combinations.
Maybe inspiration for another sage day?
See my new Pinterest board: Colour Palettes. 


Do you ever use 'Bookending' when picking shoes?
Do you have any NEW colours that you are keen to try?

Please let me know in the comments...I love to hear from you!

Or, if you prefer, Tweet me @samantha4blair

Jumper: Topshop.....annoyingly reduced to £10 now...grrrrr.
Necklace: Topshop, a gift from my Stepdaughter.
Trousers: Boden (old)....these are their recent version.
Boots: Aldo. These are nice....and these made me squeal in delight!
Bag: Osprey (this one is really nice)
Shirt: Boden (old)...similar.
Polo neck: Next....this one is similar.
Gloves: Dents....these are a leather version.

Get the look:


SHARE:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig