For the imperfect Fashion lover.

Too old for a Leather Mini Dress?

Am I too old for this leather mini dress, I wonder?

How many times have you asked yourself that question?
Ok, maybe not about a leather mini dress, but perhaps a new pair of skinny jeans or a leather jacket?
If you are anything like me, it will have been a few!

We have all heard the phrase,

"Fashion should be fun!"

And yes, I agree, Fashion should be.
But sometimes it is not!
No matter how hard we try...Fashion can make us feel inadequate.
Too short?
Too flabby?
Too old?
In a youth obsessed culture, it is easy to feel not quite good enough.

So, if fashion is not always fun.
In fact, if it is downright depressing at times. Then what is the point of it all?
Should we just give in, and grab something comfortable? Gradually becoming invisible?

Well, it may come as no surprise to you that...I say NO!

The good news is that Personal style is definitely lots of fun.
Check out some of the fantastic ladies in my "favourite blogs" list (on your right)....they are all uniquely stylish and having plenty of fun with it!

My Four favourite colour and texture queens are:
  • Sacramento @ Mispapelicos...colours explode and patterns clash. She is art on legs! Her "inspiration" photographs are always breathtaking and beautiful.
  • Ann @ Krembe de la Krembe....a more muted colour palette but no less interesting. Feathers, fringes and pompoms a go-go! With a fantastic can-do attitude to match.
  • Monica @ Senora Allnut... A plus sized blogger with a passion for colour...and the skill to make anything work...a real breath of fresh air. I love her combinations.
  • Melanie @ Bag and a beret....she is off the wall and unapologetic. A little bit bonkers and totally unique.....with fabulous hair, and legs to die for.

Personal style does not need to be anything to do with high fashion, if you don't want it to be.
Or, it can be all about the latest trends, the choice is yours.
Whatever YOU want to do...personal style is personal to YOU and it IS fun!

The great thing about getting older is that no one expects you to be "fashionable"...thank goodness for that.

The look that I have chosen today is not high fashion (although leather comes back season after season) but I like it, and that (at the end of the day) is all that really matters.

Leather and wool, over 40 | Fake fabulous.


This (faux) leather dress was a charity shop purchase and still had it's original tags.
I am guessing the first-time buyer bought it, then bottled out of wearing it.
I do understand.
It is VERY short, leather (look) and just a little bit too 'out there' for many people.
And, the fabric (because it has a sheen) accentuates every lump and bump.
Breath in!

Leather and wool, over 40 | Fake fabulous.


Leather and wool, over 40 | Fake fabulous.


I was worried about channelling Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman (especially with this hat) so I brought the whole look down a notch with some gutties (sneakers or trainers).
Trainers can take the edge off a tricky item.
Imagine this dress with high court shoes...a totally different look.

I kept the rest of my outfit toned down too.
Grey tights, muting the palette.
A polo neck under-sweater, covering things up (too much flesh is not cool at any age)...see one with a 70's spin here.
My preppy leather backpack and this cool houndstooth hat.
It is hard not to smile when wearing a cute hat like this!

Leather and wool, over 40 | Fake fabulous.



This cosy, and slightly fluffy, coatigan (part cardigan, part coat) covered me up, kept me warm and toned things down even more.


So, what do you think about leather over 40?

Should we step away, or grab it with both hands and have fun?


I thought I would leave you with this silly shot of me fixing my wrinkly ankles.... (see my post on wearing tights here)
"Hang on a second, Nora Batty wrinkle alert, stop clicking!"

Dress: Lipsy (Similar) I bought mine in a charity shop...have a look for a bargain!
Coatigan: River Island (very old) I like this one
Polo neck: Topshop
Shoes: Guess I like these!
Tights: Gift from a friend. I like these ribbed ones.
Bag: Clarks (old)... (this one is really nice)
Earrings: Local shop

Shop the look:


SHARE:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig