For the imperfect Fashion lover.

3 ways to wear clothes that don't suit you • Spring Outfit

How to wear things that don't suit you | Fake Fabulous

I was thinking about the number of clothes I have in my wardrobe that don't REALLY suit me.

By that, I mean that if I follow the rules of one (or all) of the following...

  • Colour analysis (seasonal or otherwise)
  • Bodyshapes (triangles, rectangles etc)
  • Kibbe Body types (Dramatic, romantic, Gamine...etc)
  • Style Personalities (Classic, Avant garde... etc)
  • Age appropriateness (.....yawn)

{Or, in fact, any school of styling thought}

Some of my clothes are just not right for me.

The thing is about this "problem" is that I like them and I'll be wearing them regardless of whether I should be or not!

Take this dress as a good example.

  • Wrong colour... cool and pale blue.
  • Wrong shape... mini length, puffy.
  • Wrong style... girly and cute.
  • Probably the wrong age demographic too!... Dare I say, too young??!!

Hmmmmm... there's nothing much going for it is there?
BUT I still love it!

How to wear things that don't suit you | Fake Fabulous

How to wear things that don't suit you:


1. ADD ON A 'SAFE BET'

Simply adding an 'old favourite' item to your outfit will make it feel like it fits a lot better.
Mix in something you know suits you well, whether that's your personality or colouring... whatever.

For this outfit I added my ancient army style jacket .
The colour and style are very me.
It tones down any girliness and covers me up where I want it.

That brings me to the next point...

2. COVER UP

Cover up some flesh.
Flashing TOO MUCH flesh isn't flattering... no matter what shape you're in.
Cover up either the bottom or the top half of your body.
(Or both, if you prefer!)

Boobs out and legs on display are a bit too much... unless you're beside a pool!
Quite a decent amount of leg is on show here so my top half is safely encased.

{Plus, it's far too cold for bare arms, bare chests and bare legs.}

This may seem an irrelevent "Tip" in relation to clothes that don't suit you.
Maybe it's more of a general rule (so to speak).

But... it does make sense because looking slight 'off'(in a colour or style that isn't really YOU) is harder to pull off stylishly when you're also contending with too much flesh on show.
It's a double whammy.

Having said that the only thing that REALLY MAATERS is point no.3....

3. ATTITUDE

Believing in yourself is 80% of looking good.
Bring the attitude.
Decide the item and the outfit works and suits you, regardless of rules, and it will!

How to wear things that don't suit you | Fake Fabulous

JACKET: GAP... many years old (over 18 I think!)
DRESS: Bruuns Bazaar (eBay)
SHOES: Clarks (old)
COLLAR: Ichi (Asos)
BAG: Vintage
BELT: Topshop (old)
HAIRCLIP: a Gift

How to wear things that don't suit you | Fake Fabulous
SHARE:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig