For the imperfect Fashion lover.

Forget the Zara spotty IT dress! | Unique style |1980's Vibes

Forget the IT dress | 80s style | Summer Outfit | Fake Fabulous

What a fun look this is!
A nod to the '80s but easy to wear and super-comfortable.
Perfect for a casual evening out.

This Jacket was originally a dress that I found in a charity shop.
A sad looking dress with a broken full-length zip and a saggy bum.
Out came the scissors and 'Voila!' a  unique denim jacket with oodles of personality.

Wearing unique clothing is very important to me.
The thought of having the same look as everyone else fills me with dread.

Take the latest IT dresses... like that spotty one from Zara.
If you live in the UK you probably know which dress I'm talking about.
You might even have it hanging in your wardrobe!

This spotty dress...

Zara dress
(Image: Zara)

The on-trend spotty dress from Zara even has it's own Instagram account...
Yes, you read that correctly!

An Instagram account dedicated to spotting a spotty dress sold in Zara.
The feed is full of images of multiple sightings of the spotty dress at the same location/event (cringe) or different people styling it in different ways.

https://www.instagram.com/hot4thespot/?hl=en

I don't mean to offend anyone who has jumped on this dress's bandwagon BUT... I just don't get it!
It leaves me cold.

It's not the fact that everyone is wearing it (although that is a BIG part of the turn-off for me).

I think it looks like a sack.
It's touted as super flattering and comfortable.
(I'm not sure how comfortable man-made fibres are in summer?)
Flattering?
Hmmm...
Does 'hanging' equal flattering?
If so then this dress has nailed it.

My nan's old nighties had a similar shape and I'm sure they were VERY comfortable.
Flattering too maybe... in my grandpa's eyes!?

The fact is that even the uber-tall, uber-beautiful and uber-slim model looks just okay in it.
And we all know that she could wear a sack and look good...
A sack?...wait a minute! 😝

My point here is just because something is EVERYWHERE and everyone is raving about it doesn't make it a good buy.
Someone telling you that it's flattering and suits every body shape doesn't make it fact.

For me to wear this dress I'd need a sleeve roll, a bright necklace (or bold earrings) a belt and a denim jacket or a long sleeveless jacket.

Anyone with boobies?? Forget it!
(Unless you like that mono-boob look.)

The dress might have looked better with a V-neck?
Or sleeveless?
Or with a bolder polka dot?
Or minus the hem ruffle?

All I do know is that I'll not be rushing out to buy it anytime soon

All in all, it (for me) is a big marketing win and a big style fail.

{Disclaimer: In case you have this dress and love it and are getting a bit cheesed off at me just now... Remember that this is just MY opinion and my opinion doesn't matter a jot when it comes to YOUR style!}

Forget the IT dress | 80s style | Summer Outfit | Fake Fabulous

So now I'm going to share MY outfit for today.
And it's certainly not an IT outfit!
It's not on trend.
You won't find it all over the internet.
(Thank goodness!)

My DIY denim jacket and an ivory dress that is touted as a wedding dress.
Yep, that's right.
A bridal dress.
And why not?

It's plain, simple and comfortable.
Perfect for day-to-day.
Great for a casual evening out.

Forget the IT dress | 80s style | Summer Outfit | Fake Fabulous

Forget the IT dress | 80s style | Summer Outfit | Fake Fabulous

Adding a trio of red accents worked to lift this look up a little.
A red lipstick, lips brooch and mules.
Easy.

(See more about matching accessories without looking too matchy-matchy HERE).

MAKE IT YOURS:

Any light coloured dress and denim jacket would work to recreate this look.

  • A cream linen dress and an oversized denim jacket.
  • A white shirt dress and a shrunken denim jacket.

Adding pops of YOUR favourite colour would work beautifully.

You could even swap out the mules for flat sandals or gutties (sneakers/trainers/ converse)
Anything goes!

{You could even wear THAT Zara dress with this!}

Forget the IT dress | 80s style | Summer Outfit | Fake Fabulous

What do you think?
Do you love the Zara dress (Or any dress 'of the moment' from your area)?

I'd love to hear your opinion on this... feel free to disagree with me!

WHITE DRESS: Alie Street.
DENIM JACKET: DIY from a sad old dress.
LEATHER BAG: Saks... charity shopped.
MULES: M&S (past season)
LIPSTICK: Lisa Eldridge velvet ribbon.
GLASSES: Old.
EARRINGS: Past season.


Linking up to... 
SHARE:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig