For the imperfect Fashion lover.

What Makes an Outfit Look Dated?

Asos Badge Shirt, Topshop Skinny Jeans, French Sole Ballerinas, Zara Khaki Jacket, Hot pink bag.

What could be more classic 'Noughties' than blue skinny jeans and ballerina flats?

It is the style equivalent of the bootfit jeans and chunky ankle boots from the nineties.
{Gosh, I loved my Levis 578's with DM's}

BUT...

Does this classic ballerina/skinnies combination (made stylishly famous by Kate Moss) now look dated and old-fashioned in the twenty-teens?

If I was a cutting-edge fashionista I would say...
"Skinnies are soooo last decade!"
But, as a do-it-myself fashion lover, skinny jeans and ballerinas is a laidback look that I love!
With the right ballerinas and seriously spray-on skinny jeans this outfit ticks all the right boxes for me.

Asos Badge Shirt, Topshop Skinny Jeans, French Sole Ballerinas, Zara Khaki Jacket, Hot pink bag.

These pink ballerinas are an old favourite of mine.
With their "proper" thin ballerina sole, bold colour and flattering low vamp, they are everything a ballerina should be (in my book anyway!)

Asos Badge Shirt, Topshop Skinny Jeans, French Sole Ballerinas, Zara Khaki Jacket, Hot pink bag.

Pairing them with my super-skinny jeans was the obvious choice.
An oversized (slightly masculine) shirt and an equally oversized jacket were the perfect partners for this tight-fitting bottom half.
A bold pink (butter-soft leather) bag, with a girly bow, finished things off nicely.

Armour on.
Ready to face the day!

Asos Badge Shirt, Topshop Skinny Jeans, French Sole Ballerinas, Zara Khaki Jacket, Hot pink bag.

This 15-years-out-of-date outfit got me thinking about what makes an outfit look dated?
I don't feel dated in this outfit but there is no denying that it is an "old" style.
It has been done to death.
Does feeling dated mean you look dated?
Or is it possible to feel great and look like a frump?
Hmmm....

I honestly thing that 80% of looking good is about confidence.
If you like it then it automatically looks great.

{That's my theory and I'm sticking to it!}

The one simple thing that makes an outfit feel up-to-date (for me) is the addition of one 'current' item.
For this outfit it is my fun badge shirt.
This crisp shirt feels modern against the rest of the pieces.
It's my confidence booster!

Another way to modernise things is to add a current nail colour (I didn't here, but it would work so well) or lip colour.

Even a slight nod to current colour trends can make your "dated" look seem classic and modern.

What do you think?
Is there a trend of yesteryear that you continue to love?
Do you think it's okay to hang on to these old trends?
Or, do you think it makes for a frumpy and dated 
look?
Please share your thoughts in the comments.... I'm VERY interested to hear your opinion!

{I'll leave you with a glimpse of one half of today's awesome photography team.
This little angel (peeping round my arm) is in charge of the reflector (which looks like it is poking out of my shoulder) and her big (12 year old) sister is behind the camera, and responsible for these great shots... Go Girls!!!}

Asos Badge Shirt, Topshop Skinny Jeans, French Sole Ballerinas, Zara Khaki Jacket, Hot pink bag.

COAT: Zara (similar)
SHIRT: Asos (similar)
JEANS: Topshop
BAG: Charity Shop find! ...this one is similar.
SHOES: French sole... these are adorable!
GLASSES: Ray-Ban (vintage)

SHOP THE LOOK



SHARE:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig