For the imperfect Fashion lover.

Simple Work Outfit | Black & Camel.


Fake Fabulous | Simple workwear, black Finery pencil skirt, camel cashmere John Smedley jumper, Office leopard shoes.

Sometimes, your daily schedule might call for an outfit that needs to be smarter than your normal look.
Perhaps something a little simpler, and more elegant.
Businesslike, even.

As a casual dresser, this can be tricky!

Fake Fabulous | Simple workwear, black Finery pencil skirt, camel cashmere John Smedley jumper, Office leopard shoes.

What could be simpler (or smarter) than a black pencil skirt and a fine knit, v-neck, cashmere jumper?
A real classic combination.

Well, yes it is.
But...
It's just a bit boring, isn't it?

Pencil skirts can be depressingly dull.
Ditto, V-neck jumpers...especially in such a neutral shade.

What if you're not really a 'smart clothes' person?
What if you are slightly uncomfortable in more formal clothing?
What if, despite a serious occasion, you still want to feel like 'you'?

Is it easy to get a balance between formality, and personality?

Of course!

Just take the basics of a more formal look, and add small touches of your personal style.

For this outfit, I knew I needed to keep things simple.
A good quality, plain, jumper and a structured pencil skirt were a classic base.
However, I had to inject my own style into this look.
{It is impossible to feel comfortable and confident if you don't feel like yourself}
A pair of chunky hoop earrings were a good start.
Big and bold, but still plain.

I decided against wearing a chunky necklace, even though the neckline of this jumper is the perfect shape.
But, in my mind, the V of this jumper is so well structured (and finished) that I did not want to interfere with its clean lines.

{My scarf was only around my neck when I had my mac on, apart from in the shot above}

Fake Fabulous | Simple workwear, black Finery pencil skirt, camel cashmere John Smedley jumper, Office leopard shoes.

This pencil skirt is perfect for adding another touch of individuality to a classic combination.
It has an unusual eyelet and tie detail at the front, which I love.
The fabric is nice and thick and I like the length.
The best part is that I waited for it to come into the "Flash Sale"... And it had a whopping 80% off.
{I do love a wee bargain}

A classic style brown bag kept the outfit looking grown-up BUT, I could not resist adding some whimsical fun in the shape of these leopard platforms.

I know my classic black court shoes would have been much more serious (and businesslike) but I could not help myself!

Confidence comes from feeling comfortable.
My classic courts felt too stuffy, and formal.
These felt much more "me" and I therefore felt in control.
A bright lip added to the armoury.

{I've just noticed that these tights look blue in the picture below, but they were definitely black.
At least I hope they were!!
They did not last long on my legs anyway, even if they were blue!
I was not impressed with the finish (or the quality) as I had to use my spare pair when they developed an ugly snag really early in the day}

Fake Fabulous | Simple workwear, black Finery pencil skirt, camel cashmere John Smedley jumper, Office leopard shoes.

Over to you...

How would you inject your personality into a more classic look?
Design details?
Shoes?
A great bag?

Please share your secrets in the comments, or contact me.

SKIRT: Finery London (sold out)...This one is longer and half price.
JUMPER: John Smedley (this one is beautiful)
TIGHTS: Gypsy 40 (these ones are beautiful, and last well.)
SHOES: Office (these are stunning...want!!!!)
BAG: Lango (this one is smart)
SCARF: Moschino (this one is a beauty)

SHOP the LOOK


SHARE:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig