For the imperfect Fashion lover.

How to wear a Classic Camel coat | Layering knits.

Layering knits without looking sloppy.

Wearing a mini dress and lace up boots, over 40.
Camel coats and knitted dresses seem to be in every magazine I open.
Knitted dresses over knitted tights, layered with cardigans, capes and cosy socks.

I love to layer and I love being warm and comfortable BUT, I don't want to look shapeless and sloppy....or, worse, Frumpy.
Knitted dresses can, so easily, look shapeless and unflattering (see the ironing-board effect HERE in this colourful combination).
However, after some inspiration from the super-feminine and classy Jessica @elegantlydressedandstylish (who is always on-point with her signature style)
I decided that I was going to do my own version of the "Knitted dress and boots" look.

Camel coat and lace up boots | Fake fabulous

This whole outfit began, not with a knitted dress but, with my classic camel coat.

The Camel Coat is another item that has the potential to look really frumpy...Gosh, there are a lot of them, aren't they?
This coat reminds my husband of his Mum.
I told him that this is because it is a classic, the camel coat concept has been around since the 1950's.
(Maxmara made an iconic version in 1981)
So his mum was a fashionista of her time.

In a mini homage to the 1950's, I wore these delicate vintage gloves.
They are a perfect fit for my skinny hands.

If you don't own a classic camel coat yet, I urge you to go and have a look.
There are so many different makes and styles, to suit all budgets.
They just add a little bit of class (not to mention warmth) to any outfit.
Even thrown over jeans, the camel coat looks chic.
Read the story of this super-bargain pure Cashmere version HERE.

Camel coat and lace up boots | Fake fabulous

So, once I had the idea of wearing this knitted dress again (you can see it here in an all-white look with a chunky cardigan) I knew I needed cosy layers.
This dress is one of those pieces that you think will end up filthy (I am a notorious butter-fingers) but somehow doesn't.
It is so versatile and really comfortable to wear, great for layering too.

I layered a polo-neck underneath, to add warmth and some interest.
I could have worn my fine knitted polo-neck, which would have been more in keeping with the all-knitted theme.
The fine knitted version is a better quality but it went all 'bunchy' around my middle and would not tuck in nicely.
I don't need any more lumps and bumps, thank you very much!
So this modal polo-neck had to do.

Layering knits with lace up boots | Fake fabulous

The dress is a funky shape, and pretty short, so it needed some cosy tights.
These wool ribbed ones are perfect.
Chunky burgundy socks (that are long enough to pull up when my knees get chilly) and my leopard beret seemed the obvious 'extra's' for this look.
I was coveting this designer hat, which is now in the sale, but mine is soft and comfortable and funky enough.

The star of this outfit (for me) are these boots.
I can not tell you have much I love them, but I will try...
  • They are incredibly comfortable.
  • A perfect fit.
  • Not too baggy around the leg.
  • Different, without being too 'Crazy'....a little bit punk a little bit horsey?
  • Excellent quality.
  • They go with everything...or I make them go with everything anyway!
I have had them forever (a slight exaggeration, but they feel like part of me).
I just get them re-soled every couple of years.

My burgundy bag finished things off perfectly (with the addition of a couple of furry friends!).
See this bag styled with vintage shoes, here....and pared down with jeans and a cashmere jumper, here.
Winter white dress and lace up boots | Fake fabulous

Camel coat and lace | Fake fabulous

My friend HATES these boots and rolls her eyes every time I wear them,
"Are they not ready for the bin yet?"
"NEVER!"
 lace up boots | Fake fabulous

Do you have any ancient and much-loved shoes (or boots) that you keep getting repaired?
Please share in the comments or tweet me a picture @samantha4blair

Camel coat: Old (This one is great)
Boots: Caterpillar (even older) these are really cool, with buttons...and these lace up ones.
Dress: Asos (This one is similar)
Under-sweater: Next. (this one is a better fit, I have them in other colours)
Tights: Levante (c/oUKtights)
Socks: TkMaxx (similar)
Hat: Topshop (old) This one is fab!
Gloves :Vintage (these are similar)
Nails: BarryM (almond)
Bag: Charity shop (this one is the real deal....swoon)
Pompoms: Oakland & Topshop

Here I am, caught admiring my old boots.
I think I might actually be telling them how fab they are in this shot!! ...shhhh, don't tell.

winter white and lace up boots | Fake fabulous

Shop the look:





SHARE:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig