For the imperfect Fashion lover.

My New Favourite Jeans... and how I found them!

Light wash denim, lime green and white | Spring outfit | Fake Fabulous

I've got a lot to share with you today!
Not just outfit details (and the fact these jeans are SO different from my usual in every way!) but also about my recent shopping experience.
It's been AGES since I've felt good about shopping.
Shopping has been leaving me feeling a mixture of guilt, frustration and disappointment.
That all changed when I went to buy my new jeans!


Light wash denim, lime green and white | Spring outfit | Fake Fabulous

To set the scene a little...

I usually buy my jeans from the high street.
Mostly Levis and Topshop but sometimes other brands, if they catch my eye.

I'm happy enough with the choices (and fit) BUT recently 3 things have been bothering me more and more.


  1. The ethics of the garments I'm buying... I'm finding this more and more uncomfortable and I'm buying much less. 
  2. The fact I'm stuck in a dark-skinny-jean-style-rut... BORING!
  3. The anonymity I feel when shopping in big high street shops, where the assistants are rarely there to assist. Even the higher end high street shops feel unwelcoming and impersonal. I work hard for my money... spending it should be more enjoyable than it is.


After making up my mind to find a better way to shop I set off to Edinburgh.
I was heading to a little boutique I'd been in a few times but had never quite bitten the bullet to try on (or buy) any of the pieces.

I must admit that I was worried.
Would everything be out of my budget?
Over-priced?
Too pretentious?
Maybe the person in the shop would be snooty and look down her nose at me?

{I had previously had an awful experience in a shoe boutique when a friend was treated really badly by the snooty owner (she was SO RUDE)... my friend almost bought a pair of £500 shoes off Mrs Rude! I had to have a word and we went elsewhere. It was an awful experience.}

However, If you don't give things a go you'll never know, will you!?

The best thing about this shopping trip (compared to previous trips) is that I had a firm plan and a specific budget.

Yes, my jeans budget was MUCH bigger than my usual BUT...

I only took cash with me and I was determined not to be distracted.

Normally I end up in other shops buying things I don't need, flexing my cards and end up spending WAY more than I intended too.

Taking cash meant my budget was fixed and the temptation to buy a load of rubbish was removed.
It felt liberating!

When I arrived at the boutique I must tell you that I felt a little intimidated.
Despite disliking the anonymity of a big store I felt exposed entering this tiny shop.
I was the only person inside. 
It felt VERY different to 'popping into Topshop'!

I needn't have worried!
Aofie was working in the shop that day and she was so kind and friendly.

{She even took the photos I've used for the collages in this post... how kind was that?!}

The beauty of a tiny shop like the one I went to (and any in your local area) is that they really want you to feel at home because it's good for business.
You'll happily spend your money... then come back another time to spend more!

They assist you properly.
Fetching style and sizes that might suit.
You feel special.
Valued.
You WANT to be there.
You'll maybe even have some fun!

(I certainly did)

Shopping for new jeans! | ALC Edinburgh | Fake Fabulous

I deliberately wore underwear that would cause a VPL under thin fabrics, just to test the rear end on the jeans I was trying.
Aoife was happy to capture my rear view in all its glory.
She was amazing!
I tried on loads of styles in different colours.
I avoided black and grey purely because I wanted a more summery look but it's always better to keep an open mind.
Shopping for new jeans! | ALC Edinburgh | Fake Fabulous

After over an hour of trying on, I finally found 'the one'.
A pair of jeans totally unexpected style and colour.
NOT what I thought I'd come home with at all!

BUT... PERFECT for the Scottish spring/summer season.
Light coloured and loose fitting.
Casual and utterly comfortable.
Very 'borrowed from the boys' in style.
They felt like an old favourite I'd had for years.

Not the most glam, tight-fitting or sexy but completely ME!

Next time I have a hole in my wardrobe or a 'need' for a certain item I'm going to do the same again.
Find a local shop or boutique that can give me what I want and make me feel like my hard earned cash has been spent well.

Shopping should be fun after all!

Do you support your local shops and boutiques?
What do you like about local shopping?

Or, are you happy with the anonymity (and range) of the big high street brands?
What puts you off boutique shopping?
Price?
Being too 'different'?
The inconvenience of having to visit the shop and try things on?

I'd love to hear all about it!

Light wash denim, lime green and white | Spring outfit | Fake Fabulous

This outfit was perfect for a (relatively) warm spring day and I loved feeling lighter and brighter!

{Of course I'm still wearing a sneaky base layer... or two... and my feet were a little chilly. I had to change into my leather gutties after a wee while.}

What could be more spring-like than breton stripes, light denim, white accessories and spring green?

(Okay, it's actually lime green but close enough!)

Light wash denim, lime green and white | Spring outfit | Fake Fabulous

JEANS: Denham, from ALC in Edinburgh.
LIME JACKET: Next...Charity shopped.
SILK SCARF (on my wrist) c/o Karen Hanvik.
BELT: Unknown brand...Charity shopped.
CLOGS: Sweedish Hasbeens... Charity shopped.
BAG: Cambridge satchel company (old)

Shopping for new jeans! | ALC Edinburgh | Fake Fabulous

SHARE:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig