For the imperfect Fashion lover.

Starting a blog in your 40's | 40 Things I have learned, blogging.

Thinking of starting a blog in your 40's?


Surely know one cares what an old fogey has to say about anything, right?
Is now not the time to disappear, quietly, into an all-beige {or all-grey} ensemble and keep your opinions to yourself?

Clue: The answer is NO!



Canon camera in action.

Starting a blog has been a liberating, and extremely enjoyable experience for me.
One which I would recommend to anyone who feels passionate about ANY subject, and loves to write.

I know my blog is just a baby, but I thought I would share some of the things I have learned in my first 3 months of blogging...


Things I have learned about STYLE and fashion:


  1. There are some AMAZING and incredibly stylish older women in the world.
  2. Not everyone is desperate to look younger or slimmer, they are happy just being the best version of themselves.
  3. There are some AMAZING younger women out there too, equally stylish and inspiring.
  4. You can be happy being older, or shorter, or curvier, or greyer or just generally anything-er!
  5. Being Young and Skinny does not automatically make you stylish. Some not-so-young and not-so-skinny people are THE most stylish and fabulous people I have met.
  6. Older women are NOT automatically boring and frumpy.
  7. Don't bother trying to please others with the way you dress, you will never succeed. 
  8. Do what you want and wear what you like. People can love it or loath it BUT, in the grand scheme of things, it does not matter a jot!
  9. Fashion is supposed to be FUN...always try to remember that.
  10. Don't worry about making fashion "mistakes", have fun and laugh about it. Who really cares, anyway?
Grey Beddlington whippet lurcher, by the sea.


Things I have learned about Bloggers:


  1. There are some lovely bloggers and blog-loving people out there.
  2. Not everyone on the World Wide Web is a coward (or a fake) hiding behind a computer, making nasty comments and trolling.
  3. Other bloggers have lots to say and are very inspirational and supportive.
  4. People with successful blogs SHARE their tips for success and help you make YOUR blog better and more successful. Check them out, take note and soak it all up!
  5. Listening to the more experienced bloggers is a great idea,  they know what they are talking about....they've done the legwork.
  6. You will make cyber-friends all over the world and take a peek into interesting lives across the globe.
  7. Looking at editorial-style photography on blogs is great fun... swooning over fantasy outfits and AMAZING shoes, hours can be lost this way!
  8. BUT,  I prefer seeing real outfits on real women. I know high shoes look great, lengthen legs and generally make outfits look 'better'...BUT don't pretend you can spend all day running errands, walking dogs and chasing after children in them.
  9. I prefer it when women look like a 'real' person on their blog.  Airbrushing is not necessary (in my opinion), let those crow's feet, veiny hands or baby-belly shine through. We all have our flaws and it is reassuring to see a blog with a real woman in it. It makes me think... if she can wear that and look beautiful, then I can too!
  10. People blog about ANYTHING and EVERYTHING....and thank goodness they do! 
  11. You can find out more about whatever your passion is, on a blog, somewhere....and have lots of fun searching and getting lost down various interesting rabbit-holes!

Bloggers that inspired me and helped me improve my blog:


  • Catherine @notdressedaslamb was brilliant. Her blog is my go-to site. She is very encouraging and supportive. Her posts are laid out clearly and she give many useful hints and tips.
  • Amber @ForeverAmber a sleek and inspirational blog.
  • Sacramento @MisPapelicos  A beautiful blog full of artistic photography, almost dream-like... I can spend an age looking at her posts.
  • Also, check out my sidebar for some other great blogs that I love to follow!

You can also search any blogging question or problem, and some knowledgeable person will have blogged about a solution. The internet is a fantastic place!

Nikon camera in action.

Things I have learned about MY personal blogging style:


  1. If I over analyse an outfit it never works. An impulse outfit always looks better.
  2. Being 40+ does not mean I am old, boring, frumpy and decrepit. 
  3. No one is expecting me to be High-Fashion (phew!)... I can genuinely wear what I like.
  4. I can (as an older women) confidently try he "new" trends because,  lets face it,  anyone over 40 has seen most of them before {sometimes a couple of times} so we know which trends to jump on board, and which ones we should let sail by.
  5. I NEED to put on some colour on my face for photographs. My face looked dead in my early blog shots.
  6. However, I should go easy on the make up, and not take it too far... I looked a little bit like Coco the clown in some pictures, I need to find a balance.
  7. My skinny legs (or "sparrow-shanks", as my Dad used to call them) are not so bad after all....in fact, they are made for coloured and patterned tights {which I love}.
  8. Who cares that my body has been battered and bruised over my 41 years? It still looks pretty decent, and I marvel at the amazing things it has achieved.
  9. I am not ashamed to be over 40 and in a mini skirt. And, to be honest, nobody really cares that much anyway.
  10. Life is too short to worry about what other people are thinking, I dress for myself.
  11. Happiness is beautiful and attractive, and has nothing to do with the size of your bum!

Things I am looking forward to:

  1. Discovering more brilliant blogs and interesting bloggers.
  2. Keeping up with the blogs that I read regularly, and continuing to be inspired.
  3. Putting together more outfits and experimenting with the contents of my wardrobe.
  4. Filling my wardrobe with new things!
  5. Shopping and "collecting" in the name of my blog.....it is the BEST excuse for a rummage in the charity shops, high street stores and online.
  6. Expanding my hair and beauty posts....more awkward issues, maybe?
  7. Having fun, and experimenting, with make-up.
  8. Cooking up more recipe blog posts. I do love to cook and eat!

If you are thinking of starting a blog...What are you waiting for? 

Don't procrastinate.....just do it!! 

It doesn't matter what you want to blog about, anything and everything goes.....someone, somewhere will want to read your blog.


Please share your blog link in the comments so I can check it out.

Happy blogging!
XXX
Samantha


SHARE:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig