For the imperfect Fashion lover.

How to wear black when you are pale.

Black and Red tartan trousers for Fall / AW15.

How can you wear black when you are pale....and you know it doesn't really suit you!
Black is a tricky colour to wear.

I know it is meant to be a failsafe fashion option. 
A 'go-to' colour when you can't decide what to wear. 
A classic. 
Slimming. 
Perfect for any occasion.
BUT...
Black is a hard colour to get right and as we get older, black can highlight dark shadows and wrinkles. I don't need any help with that, thanks!

What can we do to make it work?

Black and Red tartan with a statement necklace.

Black and Red tartan , tassel bag with a statement necklace.

I know that, with my colouring, I should be avoiding black.
My skin is pale with warm undertones, I don't have a cool complexion, I have very little contrast between my hair, skin and eyes...black is not my friend.

If I choose to wear black near my face, I need to put on much more make up (not good when you are over 40!) and plenty of lipstick.
The best thing I can do is add some light between the harsh black and my face, that is where this statement necklace comes in.
It just gives a little illumination to that dark space and stops everything looking too harsh.
The same effect can be achieved by a colourful scarf or a collar.

Red, on the other hand, is my friend.
It is a colour I love to wear.
And, I am happy to see that it is going to be big this coming season.
On the catwalks various shades and tones of red have been paired with pinks.
I am definitely going to be giving that a try, but for now, I have gone for black.

I decided to pair these funky tartan plaid trousers with a black skinny-rib jumper which can be worn off the shoulder, if you like that look.

I needed a chunky flash of light near my face so I chose this statement necklace, last seen HERE with the same sleeveless coat, as it happens!

As you know, I am a shoe lover and it's normally "all about the shoes" but these black suede wedge Mary-Janes are not very remarkable.
They are comfortable and very well made but they do not make me squeal in delight (like some of my collection). 
I wore them today for a little height and comfort. Unfortunately,I needed to be on my feet most of the day. Boring, I know, but sometimes real life dictates my footwear.
Pointed black patent stiletto booties were my "dream shoe" for this outfit. Only possible if i had indestructible feet, and a fantasy life of leisure, which I don't...{sniff}

My new fringed bag finished things off nicely AND I even managed to add a pom pom, to cheer things up a little.

In the photograph below I have been joined by my scruffy dog, Jake.
He looks like a ragamuffin and a flea-bag, but I love him...and he loved my pompom too!

Black and Red tartan with a statement necklace.

Black and Red tartan with a statement necklace.


Do you ever try and make colours work for you, even if you know they don't really suit your colouring?
Please share any tips!

XXX
Samantha 


Trousers: ASOS
Jumper/sweater: Newlook (similar)
Necklace: Topshop
Bag: Primark
PomPom: Newlook
Scarf: Moschino
Shoes: Clarks originals
Vest/Waistcoat/Sleeveless coat: French Connection
Taking fashion and style photos at home.

A wee extra 'snap' of my little photographer....in her miss-matched pj's. 
She has her own individual style, and doesn't care what anyone else thinks. 
She wears what she wants (daywear, nightwear, whatever) and rocks it! 
We should all take a leaf out of her book.

SHARE:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig