For the imperfect Fashion lover.

My 7 Essential Haircare Products | Short, Coloured, Wavy and Over 40 Hair!

My 7 Essential Haircare Products, over 40 | Fake Fabulous

Recently, I've been sharing my personal beauty essentials for the FACE and BODY and today it's the turn of Haircare.

I've been trying to cut through the amazing amount of beauty related bulls*it I see online, in-store and in glossy magazines.

These 7 items are ALL I need to care for my tricky tresses.

My hair has been all lengths and colours and believe me when I tell you that I've spent a FORTUNE searching for those ultimate hair saviours.
I've tried countless brands and countless products over the years... from cheap as chips basics to high-end luxuries.
I've tried them all!

As I have said in my previous posts, I'm all about peeling back the thick rind of hype and sharing genuinely great products that I buy over and over.
Products that deliver.
No-nonsense items that I wouldn't want to be without.

1. Bleach London Silver Shampoo

My 7 Essential Haircare Products, over 40 | Fake Fabulous

Many silver toning shampoos are harsh and drying, leaving your tresses frizzy and parched... They can even strip the colour out of your hair!

This one from Bleach London is (relatively) gentle and smells great.
A little goes a long way.
It makes a lovely lather and leaves my hair squeaky clean.

I don't use conditioner.

For me, conditioner is just coating my hair with silicones and I'd rather get a drop of penetrating oil on it after my shower to give it a treat (more on that later).

Plus, I hate the feeling of conditioner on my skin... that slimy feeling gives me the shudders!

{NOTE: I don't wash my hair every day}

2. A Microfibre Head Towel

My 7 Essential Haircare Products, over 40 | Fake Fabulous

My hair has been waist length, shaved and everything in between and I always use a hair towel regardless of the length!

Back in the olden days, my hair towel was good old terry cotton.
Microfibre didn't exist back in the day so we made-do with what we had.
Now I have the luxury of using both.

(I still have my old cotton head towel that is still going strong, albeit no longer very photogenic!)

Wrapping your hair in a quick drying towel has its obvious benefits (shorter drying time) but its also great for keeping your hair out of the way if you're putting lotions and oils on your body, getting dressed or you're doing your makeup.

It keeps wet hair off your clothes and stops that annoying neck trickle!

I wouldn't be without mine.

3. Moroccan Oil

My 7 Essential Haircare Products, over 40 | Fake Fabulous

This is a lifesaver for me.
A few drops of this and my hair is moisturised, soft and even shiny... well, as shiny as coloured, over-40 hair can get!
It lasts for ages.
This bottle is over a year old and still has plenty left in it.
Pricey but worth every penny.

It conditions and styles.
Keeping that annoying frizz at bay!

4. Tangle Teaser

My 7 Essential Haircare Products, over 40 | Fake Fabulous

This little brush is OLD.
I bought it when my little ones were still little ones.
They liked to go swimming, and thick waist length curls were getting stressed-out when we tried to get them tidy and tied back.
This brush was fantastic at de-tangling without the tug.
You can use it wet or dry.

They still use it and so do I... every day!
For such a flimsy looking brush it has lasted brilliantly.
Easy to use.
Easy to clean.
When it eventually gives up the ghost I'll definitely be replacing it.

5.  Aveda Control Paste

My 7 Essential Haircare Products, over 40 | Fake Fabulous

I love this product!
It lasts for AGES and it great value for money.

This thick styling paste is not for everyone.
It does what it says...
Defines.
Holds.
BUT, your hair still moves if you touch it.

It leaves hair smelling AMAZING and feeling nourished.
My girls love it for sticking down flyaways.
I love it for adding texture and sticking my hair up in a quiff.

6. Mark Hill Hairspray

My 7 Essential Haircare Products, over 40 | Fake Fabulous

This is my hairspray of the moment but I'm not loyal to any hairspray brand.
This one is nice enough though!

It smells good and does a great job at holding without residue, flakes or stickiness.
I'm glad I found it BUT I'll still try whatever brand catches my eye next time I need to re-stock.

7. Scissors!

My 7 Essential Haircare Products, over 40 | Fake Fabulous

This essential of mine will seem like an odd one for many people but I couldn't be without this duo!

When my hair is looking a bit bushy (between salon visits) I simply sort it out myself.
A trim here and there and a few snips of the thinning scissors and I'm good to go for a couple more weeks.

Cutting your own hair is not for faint-hearted but I've been doing it for years and can snip with confidence.

Give it a go... it's not as hard as you think and if you mess up it grows back!

WHY NOT TRY THEM FOR YOURSELF...


SHARE:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig